Name a couple of your go-to reference tracks, and what each brings to the table
Jan 19, 2023 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Thomasr

500+ Head-Fier
Curious to know which tracks people use to evaluate new gear, modifications, eq profiles, or whatever. More importantly, what are you listening for? What makes it a good reference track exactly?

My listening skills are pretty rudimentary, but I'll start things off:

Tears for Fears - I Believe
  • I play this song to enjoy the gorgeous expansive sound stage and musical placement. There's also a lot of dynamic range between quieter and louder elements

Rush - Marathon
  • Between Neil on the drums and Geddy on bass and keyboards, there's lots of bass to explore at all frequencies. Does it smear? Does it pool unnaturally at some resonant frequency? But the real test starts at 3:20, where the synth line reaches deep into infrasonic territory. I actually saw the Power Windows tour live way back in the day and the bass reached straight into my soul during this passage. Banks of 18" subwoofers driven by tens of thousands of watts will do that, and I would never expect a headphone to reproduce the experience. But can it extend far enough down to hint at the vast pool of sub-bass below?
  • Neil has never been shy with the cymbals, so any headphone prone to sibilance is going to struggle on this one

Jan 19, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 3
1674186766442.jpeg

Jan 29, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 3
Fun thread, probably some other places with good information like this. My list to test gear is very long, its music I have listened to for many years. But also new tracks that I have only heard for a while, since they newer stuff is very fresh in the memory and played over and over the last weeks its also good reference material.

I always try out Michael Jackson's thriller, quite technical and almost binaural.

Psytrance is also tested

Different metal genres

And as mentioned there is so much, while some tracks are regarded as good for checking out gear. I prefer what I myself know well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back