Naim Uniti Atom - All-in-one DAC/Preamp/Speaker Amp
Nov 13, 2019 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gordec

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been using the Atom as a speaker amp to drive KEF LS50 for the the past 2 months. I wanted a lifestyle piece of gear where I don't have to worry about stacking boxes, etc. It sounds just fantastic as a speaker amp. This week, I wanted to try it as a DAC/Preamp for Liquid Platinum. The result is actually fantastic. The Atom only has SE RCA output, and it's preamp only. So you are double amping if you use a dedicated headphone amp. However, many Liquid Platinum owners use it with a preamp anyways. The end result from Atom->LP->HD800 is a very musical, analogue sound. It takes all the edginess away from the HD800. Bass is spectacular for HD800 (this is probably more the LP than the Atom).

The Atom is not cheap, but if you want both speaker amp and a source for headphone amp, I think it's a very good option. I use it almost exclusively with Tidal.

20191113_090928.jpg

Dec 7, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #2 of 7
I have been using the Atom as a speaker amp to drive KEF LS50 for the the past 2 months. I wanted a lifestyle piece of gear where I don't have to worry about stacking boxes, etc. It sounds just fantastic as a speaker amp. This week, I wanted to try it as a DAC/Preamp for Liquid Platinum. The result is actually fantastic. The Atom only has SE RCA output, and it's preamp only. So you are double amping if you use a dedicated headphone amp. However, many Liquid Platinum owners use it with a preamp anyways. The end result from Atom->LP->HD800 is a very musical, analogue sound. It takes all the edginess away from the HD800. Bass is spectacular for HD800 (this is probably more the LP than the Atom).

The Atom is not cheap, but if you want both speaker amp and a source for headphone amp, I think it's a very good option. I use it almost exclusively with Tidal.

What happened to your slushvara?

Sep 20, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #3 of 7
@gordec Are you still enjoying this combination? If comparing to the 3.5mm jack directly on your Atom, what are your thoughts?

Using a Dan Clark Audio Ether C Flow, I’m enjoying the sound directly from my Atom. But every now and then the upgrade bug hits...

Sep 21, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #4 of 7
@gordec Are you still enjoying this combination? If comparing to the 3.5mm jack directly on your Atom, what are your thoughts?

Using a Dan Clark Audio Ether C Flow, I’m enjoying the sound directly from my Atom. But every now and then the upgrade bug hits...

I left the headphone game. I upgraded from Atom to the Nova and use it in the livingroom with speakers. I think if you are only listening to headphones, get a dedicated headphone amp. If you are a hybrid listener, speakers and headphones, the Atom sounds really good consider it's just a 3.5mm output. I think there is a psychological bias when you are not using a piece of gear that's dedicated to headphones. You don't think it's suppose to sound as good as a dedicated headphone amp, but in reality, it may be just as good if not better. I would say if you love it keep using it. The headphone circuit comes off the main amp section for speaker's. Naim never released the measurements, but it's a class A amp so it's got power. It sounded very clean to me also.

Sep 21, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 7
Thank you Sir. I appreciate your thoughts.

Sep 22, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the suggestion.

Could you point me to some more information about this?
Are there companies making such adapters?

I have only seen references to this for Hifiman HE6 headphones. Never thought about it for other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back