NAD 3020 Vs. Advent 300
Sep 3, 2002 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TimSchirmer

Repelling digital infidels. (Would that be called the Digifadah?)
Hello everyone. I am currently building a speaker system for my appartment. It will go in my bedroom. I will be using either sound dynamics RTS-3's, PSB Alpha mini's or (if i'm lucky) michaura M55's.

I'm looking for an integrated amp that will power these speakers nicely, while preserving the prescious signal.

Sep 3, 2002 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 10
Tim,

I think the Advent 300 sounds great and love the NAD 3020.The advent is getting scarce but is still cheap.The NAD is plentiful but sells at near the same price.I would buy both and sell the one I like the least.They both have fantastic phono amps as well headamps built-in(those were the days).The Advent is only good for about 15 watts but it is a really clean 15 watts and sounds much more powerful.Your PSBs are 93db effecient and present a nice,steady load to your amp so that should not be a problem.I actually have both and my kid uses the Advent as a Phono/head amp.I'll take a pic of her system and link it here before I head out on vaction friday.

Sep 3, 2002 at 7:43 AM Post #4 of 10
Tim,

There is no equalizer on the Advent,maybe you are looking at the tuner.There are defeatable tone controls.the Advent is technically a receiver while the NAD is an integreted amp.I think the Advent sounds great and you should try it if you can find one.

Sep 3, 2002 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 10
Hi Tim!

I have an Advent receiver that I use in my work system. It has taken a back seat to my Mapletree Ear+ as an everyday workhorse to drive my Senn 600s and Grado SR80s but still gets pressed into use on Saturday mornings to listen to Click and Clack.

It drives both of these phones very nicely and does one thing the Ear+ cannot which is drive my STAX SR40 system!

Other than the somewhat normal tuner drift, it has functioned flawlessly for the 5 years I've had it. My brother once used one in a system driving some Paradigm Atoms to very good effect.

It is worth the effort to track one down.

Very best regards,
Steve

Sep 3, 2002 at 10:12 PM Post #6 of 10
actually... now i am getting very tempted to just find some michaura M55's, and use some cheapie integrated, then upgrade to a naim nait later.

Sep 4, 2002 at 1:29 AM Post #7 of 10
The NAD 7120 and 7125 were great little receivers with very good sounding amplifier sections. These are small, ideal for a bedroom or dorm, and have a good phono stage too. They don't last long on eBay when they come up for auction either. If you get one, make sure that it is working and that you can return it if not satisfied. I understand that the power switch and some of the other controls are soldered directly to the PC board, replacement parts may not be available, and repairing a cracked PC board may not be possible.

Have you considered one of the vintage 1970s Marantz receivers from the 2200 series such as the model 2215 or 2220 (each conservatively rated at 15 and 20 watts/channel respectively).

Check them out here: http://www.classic-audio.com/

Sep 4, 2002 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 10
I haven't heard one of those marantz recievers yet...

i hate how they look though, way too flashy for me. Also, i would rather not get anything made before the 80's, as my system is developing a light british 1980's edge to it. (just like my musical taste... meh)

Sep 4, 2002 at 2:56 PM Post #9 of 10
I once had a Marantz 2215. The best FM tuner I've ever heard, though the amp at 15 watts was woolly in the bass. Unfortunately there aren't any "pre-amp in/out" jacks to by-pass the amp.

Sep 4, 2002 at 3:11 PM Post #10 of 10
TimSchirmer,

I suggest you check out NVA amplifiers http://nva.sclnz.com/ you can get them through http://www.peakaudio.ns.ca/ . Peak Audio is a Canadian retailer so take that into account when looking at the prices.

I've heard a few of these and can't say enough good about them, I've mentioned them here a few times but no one has taken much interest. I would say they are in a completely different league than the NAD but I haven't heard the two side by side. Plus if DIY interests you then you can get them for quite a bit cheaper as a kit.

Just a thought,

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back