N00b at IEMs, please advise JVC FXT90 and competitors
Oct 30, 2014 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

chocolatewol

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm primarily an over-ear headphone person, but my headphones for work have just broken. I'm thinking of going with a new purchase of IEM as I previously had small on-ear headphones so that when listening to podcasts and audiobooks I was not too disconnected from the rest of the office, but if I was listening to music would generally bring more substantial headphones in.

I am thinking I would like to have an IEM that will perform reasonably well for both cases - good enough for music but not overkill for my normal usage of podcasts and audiobooks - and thus not super high end. Good bang for buck is always what I'm looking for. I could get talked into a higher price point if the experience was worth it.

With that being said, I currently use JVC FX40 as my bedside headphones, mainly because they are pretty compact to lay on, if falling asleep, and I mainly watch shows or listen to podcasts at that time so sound reproduction isn't as big a deal - that being said, they are pretty fun, if very V-shaped (good for mowing the lawn, too). At work, I don't intend to be falling asleep so I had been wanting to try the JVC FXT90 as I am intrigued by the upgrade and also the dual-driver arrangement which I do not have any experience with. However, the price (as import) is pretty daunting for what you get (cheaper on Amazon but then I have to still pay pretty bad shipping) so before making a leap I was hoping to get some advice on similar/competing IEMs  in the 75-150 price range (actual price, rather than RRP - if I can punch above my weight with a deal, I'm keen).

I have seen a few threads comparing the HIFIMAN RE-400 and the Yamaha EPH-100 alongside these earphones, so will at least be researching these.

For help, I really like the following headphone signatures as a baseline/everyday - all the other things I own are for flavour or particular character:
Beyer DT1350
AT A900x
Both featuring good to great speed, tight but present bass, great mids detail and clear highs - on the 1350's case obviously a little too strident sometimes. I don't want shrill or tinny, but I don't want to be overwhelmed with bass.

I know very little about IEM brand reputations, models, construction, sizes, etc and as such have no idea really what to expect or how to measure satisfaction. I'm normally a big soundstage/clarity/separation kind of person, but from what I understand that I will be losing most of that with an IEM, but sound reproduction and convenience I hope to get the most of. :)

I appreciate any advice, even if it's just a 'go look at this' which I will gladly do. I just look at the field and feel overwhelmed.

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 7
If you want to a pair of IEMs that you could fall asleep in, I would suggest the Shure SE215. I like to sleep while listening to music as well and its flush design allows me to lie down comfortably even if I'm tossing an turning. The fact that they have detachable cables is a plus. 

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #4 of 7
I think the VSonic GR07 Bass Edition is better than the JVCs, both are great and like them better than the Hifiman or the Yamahas, but the Vsonic bass is clean, tight, and present without ever once being overpresent, the mids are clear and articulate and just a bit recessed ever so slightly and the highs are clear and articulate and tastefully enhanced(i hate bright headphones and shrill these are not) just a bit glary at times and sibilant with some recordings, but i think the soundstage and resolution of these more than make up for that.

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #6 of 7
I had the JXT90 for about a month and I'm not sure I would ever recommend them; the dual driver design is interesting but for me didn't translate into a coherent or enjoyable sound. If you're looking for something similar then I would look at the GR06 (imo superior in just about every way), or as said above the GR07 as above will be a little more V like your Beyers.

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks everyone! I'd thought nobody else was going to respond (and got really busy). Starting from the back: 

ChavaC: Thanks for the insight RE the FXT90. I wasn't really sure and apparently like you I would have gotten lost in the allure of the different construction. The only thing that made me pause was the price variances depending on how I purchased - otherwise would have just done it, seeing as I like my JVC FX40 for basic use already. Thank you for the comments regarding VSonic. I have no experience with VSonic. Would you point me more to the 06 or the 07? 

OMGLadyGaga: Thank you for putting the JVC in context with some of the others. I was interested in looking into the yamahas and hifiman. I wasn't super keen on the hifiman and it made me consider if I should look at the RE-600 or something instead, especially if used. Still no great idea about the yamaha's but I will keep in mind what you say. 

Yasink08, Dinerenblanc - thanks so much for the input RE the Shure SE215. I've been interested in shure products for a while, just never purchased any. Is their sound signature the standard Shure signature, or? How do the Shure IEM models compare in your opinion? 

Thanks again everyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back