My X-CAN v8 arrived - some questions.
Dec 15, 2009 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

kenratboy

New Head-Fier
First, I am currently:
beyersmile.png

Pure musical bliss. My AH-D2000's have never sounded better.

I have a few questions I am still trying to get a better answer on:

--Do you leave it on 24/7? I listen 4-12 hours a day, 7 days a week.
--From a cold start, is there a warm-up period, or can I just go for it?
--I notice if I tap the unit, I hear feedback through the headphones, normal for tubes?
--How fragile are the tubes when the unit is off? How about when it is on (can I move it, or does it need to cool down first)?
--Anything else I need to know about this unit?

Oh, something I wish I knew before I bought it, but was pleasantly surprised to find - this unit will play ANYTHING via the USB input from my computer. From YouTube videos to lossless rips, it seems to play ANYTHING I try. I was scared it would only work with a select few formats (MP3's and the like).

Dec 16, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 20
Kenratboy,

Big congratulatons on your purchase
smily_headphones1.gif
You wont regret your purchase.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, yoyu cld drop by this thread and take a look and join the felow xcanv8 owners in further discussion. )
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/x-c...thread-425546/

In any case, to answer some of your questions ..........To sound it's best, leave in on all the time. personally saw its working at its best after around 3 days. But that beside, Xcan sounds great already even without warm up. But you decide whats best
smily_headphones1.gif

As for microphonic, i don personallly experience it. I would think its not just Tube components, it happens for most electronics. Some times, the connections of the tube would be loose. once tighted it should go away. So far, how "irritating" is it? Did you try on both the jack? and if you don tap it, do you still get microponics?

The Xcanv8 is built like a little tank. The tubes sits really tight in their sockets and don worry if you move it around.
smily_headphones1.gif
You c ould even carry it upside down if you wan. ( but i don recommend it though ) haha
smily_headphones1.gif

Unless you are tube rolling, you will need the tube to be cool down before you roll it. But generally if you wan to move it around, no. You don need it to cool down.

One thing you might wan to explore is the Power Supply unit
smily_headphones1.gif
Its an upgrade you will see instant improvement.
smily_headphones1.gif
Another upgrade in the future will be tubes.
smily_headphones1.gif
i guess we can leave that for later
smily_headphones1.gif
Enjoy your stock tubes first.

DAC section of the V8 is decent but not spectacular. If you compare with dedicated DAc, they don match up. But DAC for you seems more like an alternative usage? I guess it will complement your set up. Do note, that using the V8 as a pure DAC is a waste of its potential and definitely not worth its price tag
smily_headphones1.gif
The head phoen section is what its built for
smily_headphones1.gif

ANy case, urs is the V8p or V8?

Dec 16, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kenratboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, something I wish I knew before I bought it, but was pleasantly surprised to find - this unit will play ANYTHING via the USB input from my computer. From YouTube videos to lossless rips, it seems to play ANYTHING I try. I was scared it would only work with a select few formats (MP3's and the like).

That's because your computer is doing all of the decoding. All the DAC in the X-Can is doing is converting the bits the computer sends it via USB into an analog waveform.

Congrats on your purchase BTW. I was seriously considering this unit before I decided on a Millet MiniMAX. Heck, I may still end up getting one if a deal crops up in teh FS forum here.
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 20
What a lovely surprise!

I didn't realise that the Musical Fidelity cans had leaped generations ~ I'm on v2 (the dynamite tube shape) still!

I guess being a true Class A amp, it's okay to run in for hours at a time and leave off over night. I always find a warm up period is essential for the hybrid Class A type MF stuff. Maybe not hours - more like 20 minutes.

Yes - you get the transmission of the vibrations from the headphone cords and tube innards if you tap the v8 unit. That's pretty normal for my v2 too. It's not a portable amp you know lol.

How is the hiss at quiet volumes? This is the main limitation of the X-Cans v2 which I find. I'm sure there are 'better' head amps than my ancient one, but I enjoy too much to upgrade....even to a USB DAC. Not sure why I think a separate DAC is always preferable? Maybe its the MF philosophy about separation of power currents and sources. Yes - X-PSU was a great upgrade for the older MFs. Get whatever modern one there is for your v8.

Enjoy!

Dec 16, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #5 of 20
Thanks!

The microphonic is not annoying - I just isolated it from the desk (literally, I put it on a glove!)

I have heard the DAC is not that great, so I will take it one step at a time. How would even the VDAC be ($200)? I can run a optical or coaxial out from my computer.

I have the V8 (non-P).

Quote:

Originally Posted by darlim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kenratboy,

Big congratulatons on your purchase
smily_headphones1.gif
You wont regret your purchase.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, yoyu cld drop by this thread and take a look and join the felow xcanv8 owners in further discussion. )
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/x-c...thread-425546/

In any case, to answer some of your questions ..........To sound it's best, leave in on all the time. personally saw its working at its best after around 3 days. But that beside, Xcan sounds great already even without warm up. But you decide whats best
smily_headphones1.gif

As for microphonic, i don personallly experience it. I would think its not just Tube components, it happens for most electronics. Some times, the connections of the tube would be loose. once tighted it should go away. So far, how "irritating" is it? Did you try on both the jack? and if you don tap it, do you still get microponics?

The Xcanv8 is built like a little tank. The tubes sits really tight in their sockets and don worry if you move it around.
smily_headphones1.gif
You c ould even carry it upside down if you wan. ( but i don recommend it though ) haha
smily_headphones1.gif

Unless you are tube rolling, you will need the tube to be cool down before you roll it. But generally if you wan to move it around, no. You don need it to cool down.

One thing you might wan to explore is the Power Supply unit
smily_headphones1.gif
Its an upgrade you will see instant improvement.
smily_headphones1.gif
Another upgrade in the future will be tubes.
smily_headphones1.gif
i guess we can leave that for later
smily_headphones1.gif
Enjoy your stock tubes first.

DAC section of the V8 is decent but not spectacular. If you compare with dedicated DAc, they don match up. But DAC for you seems more like an alternative usage? I guess it will complement your set up. Do note, that using the V8 as a pure DAC is a waste of its potential and definitely not worth its price tag
smily_headphones1.gif
The head phoen section is what its built for
smily_headphones1.gif

ANy case, urs is the V8p or V8?

Dec 16, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 20
I though the raw file was being sent, but I guess it makes sense I am just getting a decoded, but digital file, and doing the last-step DAC with the amp.

Thanks, it was a long time coming.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's because your computer is doing all of the decoding. All the DAC in the X-Can is doing is converting the bits the computer sends it via USB into an analog waveform.

Congrats on your purchase BTW. I was seriously considering this unit before I decided on a Millet MiniMAX. Heck, I may still end up getting one if a deal crops up in teh FS forum here.
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 20
I do not hear any volume noise, and man-o-man is this volume control a beast.

Should I turn it off overnight? I will probably do something with a power switch in order to not wear out the power supply (bet a new one is not cheap). Or, I'll just get the upgraded PSU
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a lovely surprise!

I didn't realise that the Musical Fidelity cans had leaped generations ~ I'm on v2 (the dynamite tube shape) still!

I guess being a true Class A amp, it's okay to run in for hours at a time and leave off over night. I always find a warm up period is essential for the hybrid Class A type MF stuff. Maybe not hours - more like 20 minutes.

Yes - you get the transmission of the vibrations from the headphone cords and tube innards if you tap the v8 unit. That's pretty normal for my v2 too. It's not a portable amp you know lol.

How is the hiss at quiet volumes? This is the main limitation of the X-Cans v2 which I find. I'm sure there are 'better' head amps than my ancient one, but I enjoy too much to upgrade....even to a USB DAC. Not sure why I think a separate DAC is always preferable? Maybe its the MF philosophy about separation of power currents and sources. Yes - X-PSU was a great upgrade for the older MFs. Get whatever modern one there is for your v8.

Enjoy!

Dec 16, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #8 of 20
I think I should stop frequenting this forum. It just seems to make me think about 'the next upgrade' hmmmm...!

Yes - turn it off overnight. Carbon footprint and eco-conservation - we've all got to do our bit. The upgraded PSU is the best! (or is that naive me falling for MF's marketing ploy?!)

Dec 16, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #9 of 20
i got mine 2 days ago. i like it very much. very smooth sounding. i also get the little noise when i tap on the unit. i am thinking of getting the cambridge dacmagic to use as a dac.

Dec 16, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #10 of 20
GOOD FOR YOU! Enjoy your head amp......As stated above by others, when you can Buy the M.F. X-PSUv8 power supply..Big improvement over the wall wart.....I picked my PSUv8 up from "Audio Advisor" for $287.00....Next, when dollars allow you, Buy a pr. of Amprex 7308 SQs or PQs, the best I.M.O. That's all you'll need for awhile, anyway...I do turn my "Stuff" off when I'm finished listening....

Dec 16, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #11 of 20
What is the MSRP of the X-PSU? I might go for it, I'm crazy!!!

Those tubes are HOW much!?

Dec 16, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #12 of 20
Kenratboy, I think the X-psu goes for $499, ouch! Even though it's worth it, try dealers "Demo" stuff.....I would call them all, Music Direct, Audio Advisor,etc.etc and even look on Audiogon, my home page...Now for the tubes, these are costly and somewhat rare,I went in with a audiophile buddy and bought a NOS "Quad Set" of SQs from a guy in Holland for around $195 a pr... But that was 4yrs ago.. Go to Audiogon type 7308 in the search box and start lookin' OK...Hunt for a guy with a user name "sam" something he'll have 7308s..I have plenty of 7308s and N.O.S. 6922s but I really don't sell much...They're just to hard to find.....Didn't your V8 come with 6922 sovteks??? If you don't have any luck get back with me.....Some guys will think I'm off my rocker, but hey I bought western elect.300Bs when the price was right....Then again Kenratboy I'm 57yrs old and (I've Been Around the Block) a few times...And my systems/Lps are my passion, like many others I'm sure.....duke

Dec 16, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #13 of 20
Just checked Audiogon for you Kenratboy........sam1004 has several 7308/6922s for sale Big Bucks for NOS.......He does show a used Quad set of amprex 6922 SQs for $200.00..Please read about his stuff....Oh! Just so you know I'm not buddies with this guy.....Don't know him!!!!! Just Enjoy What YOU have now and keep lookin!

Dec 16, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #14 of 20
Good info, thanks!

It looks like there are plenty of NEW ECC88's available, at a low price and probably a lower-quality. I will need to pop this sucker open and see what is under the hood. I imagine they are NOT using NOS in this unit.

However, I will start educating myself, and probably snag some tubes (at least a few pairs of cheap new ones before Russia/Eastern Europe have a war or we impose a trade embargo for whatever reason!), and maybe a pair of nice NOS ones (those Hollish ones appear to be hideously expensive, though I bet they sound delightful).

Ugh, at least this hobby is cheaper than watches...

My rational is I am 24, and my hearing will not improve with age, so why not enjoy this now?

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #15 of 20
Perfect Logic KENRATBOY......damn I can hardly remember what Headphones I had when I was 24, maybe Koss! You got your whole life to live and really enjoy your MUSIC and Gear..........Once again, I like your plan........Collect, Collect....but do have FUN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back