My 'Stairway To Heaven' MP3 Only 2:30sec long? And Other Weirdness
Jan 10, 2019 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TheSonicTruth

1000+ Head-Fier
My 'Stairway To Heaven' MP3 Only 2:30sec long? And Other Weirdness...

Between six and seven years ago, I had a strange phenomenon in which a couple dozen of my MP3 download files mysteriously shrank, from their full length, down to any where from 2:00 to as little as 20 seconds before the next one would start playing. Akin to selecting another mp3 song in the middle of the one currently playing.

1. Most of the MP3s affected were downloaded from places like Lime Wire(defunct).
2. I noticed the shortening upon playback in my iPod and other players.
3. When I looked in iTunes, in my Windows Music backup folder, and even on my portable hard drive the songs were all cut off in those locations too!
4. MP3s purchased from Amazon or ripped from my own CDs were not affected.

The issue was long since resolved with a Windows version of "MP3Val" (idate), but I'm just curious: What do you all think precipitated this strange behavior in the first place?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 3
The one time I've found stuff like this, I discovered it was a weird authoring thing in the CD I was ripping. It had chapter stops that didn't make any sense. If you downloaded them from an unauthorized source, they were probably ripped wrong. There are some real chimpanzees uploading bootleg MP3 files to file sharing networks.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 3
The one time I've found stuff like this, I discovered it was a weird authoring thing in the CD I was ripping. It had chapter stops that didn't make any sense. If you downloaded them from an unauthorized source, they were probably ripped wrong. There are some real chimpanzees uploading bootleg MP3 files to file sharing networks.
Right...particularly limewire...it was was like drinking from a communal pool...never know what you're gonna catch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back