My new Classical, Opera, and Jazz CDs
Nov 27, 2001 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

KR...

Curator of the Headphone Lust Museum
Many of these I just got today, so I haven't gotten the chance to hear them yet. But, don't let that stop you from discussing them
smily_headphones1.gif

1. Wagner - Love Duets-Tristan Und Isolde (Domingo/Voigt/Pappano)

2. Rachel Barton - Instrument Of The Devil

3. Telarc Collection - Vol. 7

4. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Hopefully I get some more Classical/Opera CDs for X-Mas
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2001 at 11:40 AM Post #3 of 7
The alternate version of Flamenco Sketches is much better than the original. The alternate was actually the first take and works better with the rest of the album since the rest of the album was recorded in one take too
eek.gif

Nov 27, 2001 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 7
Just a general comment about classical, my CD collection is about 60% rock/alt and 40% classical I have very little opera but have several versions of all major orchestral works by well know composers.........@500 Cds.

Now is the best time ever to get classical music, all major labels
DG, EMI, Phillips, Decca etc have their back catalogs available at budget or mid price levels, some have new remasters and sound fabulous. You can get RCA and Mercury CDs from 1950s stereo performances that sound better than many modern recordings!

Nov 27, 2001 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

The alternate version of Flamenco Sketches is much better than the original. The alternate was actually the first take and works better with the rest of the album since the rest of the album was recorded in one take too

Yes, I really like that version, much better as well.

Quote:

didja get the recently remastered K. of B. ? (20 bit, bonus track, tempo correction)?

That would be the one that I have.

Quote:

Just a general comment about classical, my CD collection is about 60% rock/alt and 40% classical I have very little opera but have several versions of all major orchestral works by well know composers.........@500 Cds.

The classical/opera that I listen to matches my taste in other styles of music. There's a running theme (or themes) through out my entire CD collection, so even though they are many different styles of music, it all fits together and makes sense to me. Everything is connection somehow, that's why I can listen to Classical/Opera/Metal/Jazz/Blues/whatever in the same sitting and nothing seems out of place.

That's the only Jazz CD that I own, BTW. I not too into Jazz (most of what I heard stinks), but I really like that CD quite a lot.

Nov 27, 2001 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 7
KR

You have got to listen to John Coltrane's Love Supreme (the reissue in 20 bit) and I would recommend Patricia Barber's Modern Cool as well. Finally, check out Yo-Yo Ma's Premieres. The latter features some incredible cello and a very wide dynamic range to the music - you will hear how quiet (or not) your system is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back