My journey into portable audio so far. B&W P7 meets Fostex HP-P1 + PA2V2.
Nov 19, 2014 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Jeb Listens

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, 

Having used Head-Fi for the last year, I thought it was time to make my first post - to introduce myself, share some opinions about some products &my audio journey and gratefully accept any help!  

My name is Jeb.   My journey into portable audio began about 5 years ago, iPod Classic and the obligatory apple earbuds.  Life was simple then. 

Last year I began wondering if and how I could improve my sound quality on-the-go.  I enjoy the intimacy of headphones immensely.  Needing to start somewhere, I  began with a pair of headphones -  Bowers & Wilkins P7.   Naturally, going from the stock earbuds to a the P7s was an overwhelming leap forward in sound quality, in every way.  

However, at that time I never quite gelled with the P7s.  I've read the long and fairly divisive P7 thread here and the range of opinions here really sums up my own feelings about them.  At times I'm amazed at the level of detail, the wide soundstage and the depth of the bass (only when the track calls for it).  Other times I find them overly bright, cold and perhaps a little bit thin. The mids are just about right but sometimes the lows and highs seem so recessed that I find my self "looking" for them as I listen.   This opinion can change from day to day, even track to track.  

I guess we haven't totally made friends yet.  

Reading the wealth of information here I came to understand that the sound of the P7s could be improved with bettering the source and amplification.   Members here seemed to be saying that the P7s would scale well.  Okay lets go for it.  Start at the beginning of the chain - make sure all the detail is there in the first place. So...I re-riped all my CDs in lossless format.   A great improvement.   They can resolve all the detail.  I started to believe that the P7s had the potential that was necessary If only I could find the correct recipe. 

Next stop -  amplification.  After a bit of research I started with the inexpensive and extremely engaging PA2V2 with a Fiio LOD from the iPod.  Again a huge leap forward.  Some of the "life" I felt was missing in the music is now present.  There's a nice warmth about the sound now.  It's fun, lively and has brought the music forward, as if I just went 10 rows forward at a live show.  I think I'll always love this little amp.  My first.   Again I get the impression that there's more to the P7s than I first thought.  Hidden potential. 

The more I read, the more I understand that the iPod DAC could be a limiting factor.  Not many ways around this.  I'm in the UK so the Cypher-Labs Solo is difficult.  How about the Fostex HP-P1.  The output impedance doesn't seem to be ideal for the P7s but one comes along second-hand at a great price.   I grab it.   The sound difference is subtle but unmistakeable.  The soundstage has grown by about a third, instrument separation is exquisite and we've lost a little more of the clinical digital sound that is present directly out of the iPod.  Plus, the Fostex itself is a thing of beauty.   

At this point though I've sacrificed some of the warmth of the PA2V2 for the extended sound-stage and separation of the Fostex.  I attempt to integrate the PA2V2 back into the set-up via the line-out of the Fostex to see if I can retain the benefits of both.  Have my cake and eat it, so to speak.  

Nope, I've now lost some of the best bits of the Fostex.  Though richer and more engaging with the PA2V2 I realise how congested it sounds using them both.  I've lost some of the detail -  which is a shame when I know the P7s can resolve whatever is there to resolve.  So the Fostex amp isn't so bad after all. 

I've been enjoying the Fostex / P7 combo ever-since.  

Occasionally I plug the PA2V2 back in, flick that little metal on/off switch and see the red light illuminating the inner workings and it always brings a smile to my face.  What a great little amp.  I just love how this fun little box can offer something different than the super-refined piece of engineering that is the HP-P1. I don't quite love the Fostex like I love the PA2V2, but it's better... there's no doubting that.  It should be for 8 times the cost   The journey has been as much about me finding out about my own tastes as it has been about finding out what technology is out there.   

So.... Just one nagging thought.  I'm sure I can improve upon the Fostex's internal amplifier without sacrificing the excellent qualities of the DAC.  I wondered about the Graham Slee Voyager or a TTVJ Slim (if I could find one in UK -anyone?).  Perhaps that could add the warmth I love while retaining the refinement I also crave.  The finishing touch.  Though perhaps its just a sideways step.  

Maybe what I want doesn't quite exist.  At least not with these headphones. 

Any suggestions or observations gratefully received.  If anybody has successfully added in an analogue sounding external amp, that compliments the Fostex HP P1 or the P7s I'd love to hear about it. .  Thank you for reading.  

Jeb. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back