My HD800 Impressions, Part 3
Nov 23, 2009 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Orcin

1000+ Head-Fier
The burn-in is officially over. I have about 150 hours on them now and I am no longer hearing changes. I can offer a few more conclusions after my latest listening session, which covered two days and featured:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon [MFSL]
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here [CBS Masterworks]
David Gilmour - Divid Gilmour [remastered]
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile (Left & Right)

This baloney about these phones being lifeless and lacking bass is just that... baloney. The HD800 bass is better than my Denon D2000... deeper, more accurate, and very full. How much more bass would you want???

The soundstage reminded me of my speaker systems from the past, especially on the Pink Floyd selections. I have never heard Pink Floyd and Gilmour sound so good on headphones.

The HD800 has outstanding attack and impact. It has tremendous dynamic range. Nine Inch Nails really rocks! I don't know where these bogus "lifeless" conclusions are coming from, but I am going to offer one explanation.

It's very possible that three elements in my system are making my experience different (in a good way) from others:

- Moon Audio Blue Dragon vs. stock cable
- Woo Audio WA6SE vs. solid-state amp
- MHDT tube DAC vs. solid-state DAC

It could be any of those or the combination of all of them that synergizes so well with this phone. It might take a bit of experimenting to determine the truth. Frankly, I am in no hurry to figure it out. I just plan to enjoy the ride.

beerchug.gif

Nov 24, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 3
Thanks for the impressions. I'm planning on getting the HD 800s as well and I enjoyed reading your posts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back