my first experience with the line-out on my pcdp
Sep 3, 2001 at 1:47 AM Post #16 of 21
Red
The creek OBH-11 special edition (SE) is enhanced in a couple ways, first the amplifier section is Class A operation with zero feedback for slightly more detailed/smooth sound. Second the power supply is more robust, allowing two headphone sets to be driven if needed. Law of diminishing returns, SE costs 75% more
to get maybe 20% better sound, only you know if it is worth that much more money to you.

Although headphones require very few watts to be driven to listening level, an amp like creek has many times the power of a
portable which must be efficient to conserve battery life. Most new portables power supplies are 4.5-6volt, the Creek amp has 24 volt power supply, able to drive even inefficient headphones. That is why it sounds so clean/effortless compared headphone jack of portable.

As to whether that is my image, I am not sure as every time I pass a mirror I can see no reflection, strange.......

Sep 3, 2001 at 6:40 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

As to whether that is my image, I am not sure as every time I pass a mirror I can see no reflection, strange.......

oh i think you know why...

the law of diminishing returns must be remembered at all times when considering purchasing high end audio equipment. since the obh11 can be had for $150 it just jumped to the top of my list, although i'm still not clear as to the role current plays in amplifying sensitive cans..
confused.gif

Sep 3, 2001 at 8:39 AM Post #18 of 21
resdshifter- Don't worry about sensitivity, it isn't the important factor here...

The voltage of the ouptut will determine the volume produced by the headphone. When you turn up the volume, you are increasing the voltage. A CDP's line-out has a high voltage (1-2V, a little less in portables), which is why it usually sounds louder than a headphone jack.

However, whenever there is a voltage, there will be a certain amount of current flowing through. The amount of current going through is determined by the relationship I=V/Z (voltage divided by impedence). So when you plug in a low impedence headphone, a large amount of current will flow. But this current must come from somewhere: the amp. If it is an amplified headphone out, the amp will be able to source a lot of current, and there will be clean sound. But if you use a line out, it is unable to source that much current, resulting in large amounts of distortion, and a softer volume overall.

If you look at the above relationship, if you use a very high impedence headphone, only a small amount of current will flow. The line out may be able to just ouput enough current, and you will get clean sound.

Sensitivity does matter, but it would take way too long to explain it here, and i've already done it SEVERAL times in the last month. Do a headwize search in the last month ( the thread was about using RA-1 to drive SEnn 600)

Sep 3, 2001 at 3:19 PM Post #19 of 21
Thomas the teacher.....thanx again
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2001 at 6:16 PM Post #20 of 21
thanks thomas. i'll look up that other posting, too.

Quote:

But if you use a line out, it is unable to source that much current, resulting in large amounts of distortion, and a softer volume overall.

since when i use the line out on my pcdp there is no audible distorion and plenty of volume, does this mean there is enough current being supplied? in any event, i'm getting a great sound from the line out, i like the extra frequency extension and transparancy, so it will do until i get that amp. i just wish there was some place nearby i could audition an amp so i can hear the difference for myself! thanks again.

p.s.: i just watched "the matrix" using the cd1700 cans. i hate to say it but these cans are putting my speaker/amp combo to shame!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2001 at 12:40 AM Post #21 of 21
yep, by adding the inline volume control, you're decreasing the voltage that reaches your headphones, so less current will go through as well. This small amount of current can be supplied by your line out. (different line outs have different limits on ouput current, so it may not work for everyone)

Quote:

i just wish there was some place nearby i could audition an amp so i can hear the difference for myself

should have gone to that headfizer meeting
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back