My first DAP, sub $300
May 26, 2020 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

AlphaPie

New Head-Fier
I'll be driving a pair of sennheiser momentum cans. Online streaming isnt really a deal breaker for me. I was looking at the Fiio M7 since it has an ess saber dac which I know I like since I've used similar chips in home audio. The fiio m6 gen 3 looks to be a bit tougher too. The Hidizs AP90 seems to be popular budget dap as well. I've also considered a usb dac like the monolith and using a dongle for my phone instead.

So many options, I'm really not sure what to get. Reviews on all daps at this price seem to have mixed reviews. Any advice is welcome!

May 28, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 5
Welcome to the neighborhood, AlphaPie. I did a lot of research last year and eventually opted for an M7. Mostly I have been quite happy with the improvement over my old and trusted Cowon J3. But I regret that I did not spend a bit more to get, say, the Hiby R5. The M7 screen is not as responsive as I had hoped it would be. The radio is disappointingly inferior to the J3’s reception. Nevertheless, the sound quality is excellent. But I am seriously considering upgrading to the R5. Happy hunting!

May 28, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #5 of 5
I would suggest the R5 also I have a R3 and R6 Pro and both serve me well. The R3 I take to work sometimes as I work construction and don’t mind if it gets beat up a bit the R6 Pro is better suited for on the patio or travel listening. Either does well at driving full sized cans and the R6 can even drive my Abyss fairly well with 750 mW balanced connection. I listen to the R5 at CanJam NYC briefly and thought it sounded pretty good I didn’t take the time to a/b it with my R6 Pro but I think it’s a fine Dap .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back