My Dell D600 is hissing at me like a snake
Jun 10, 2004 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bobfa

Head-Fier
Actually it is my work laptop, but it goes a lot of place I do and I want my tunes on it. The hiss out of the machines headphone jack is horrid. I cannot change the hardware, but I could add a USB sound card or something. I am using foobarr2000 to play if that matters. Just some Sony canal phones for now, e5c in my future.

Any good ideas?

I also noticed that my LAN party machine a shuttle 64 machine does the same thing but not as bad.

bob
confused.gif

Jun 10, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #3 of 10
I kind of figgured I needed an external sound "card" anyone have ideas? I am thinking of buying an amp so line out would be nice.

Jun 12, 2004 at 3:02 AM Post #6 of 10
I have the transit and love, great bang for the buck on that "card"

Scott

Jun 12, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 10
I too have Dell labtop (M60) but it came with a pathetic onboard sound (same as yours). I've bought an external USB soundcard/DAC which kicks serious bu*t over stock sound. Take a look at Yamaha DP-U50 (Personal sound processor series). If you want photo let me know.

-Mike

Jun 15, 2004 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 10
If you want something super compact for travel, I've also had good luck with the Griffin iMic. USB device with one headphone/one mic in jack.

No line out, but it's not bad when you don't want to lug a paperback book size device along with you. It's about 1.5" diameter puck shape.

Jun 16, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #9 of 10
I decided on a quick trial on the iMic and it seems to fit the current need. I am using this at work and with my Sonys 71's so nothing too impressive, but it blows away most "real" folks. I freaked a couple of folks out today with the sound and I know that we are not there yet.

This gives me fast "good" sound on the PC for a current total cost of less that $100.
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #10 of 10
uh yeah the noise floor on the dell headphone outs are ridiculous becuase they put the out right next to the harddrive......idiots.

anyhow my mint amp filters all the garbage out very nicely
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back