My Audeze LCD-X's made my uncle cry with a lot of help from Stevie Wonder
Aug 4, 2019 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7
Last night my wife and I had some of her family come over for dinner. At some point after dinner with the wine flowing and everybody in a relaxed mood, the subject of my new interest in higher-quality audio and headphones came up, leading to me going into a long, rambling dissertation on the joys of higher-quality audio. I could see my wife's uncle and cousin starting to have their eyes roll into the back of their heads, but before I completely lost them, I go and grab my laptop with Qobuz, and plug my new Audeze LCD-X's connected with the AudioQuest Cobalt into my laptop. Nothing too fancy I know, but it was enough for me to query them with, "What's your favorite song that you know how it sounds really well?"

Her uncle takes a moment, and eventually asks to hear Stevie Wonder's "Another Star". We pull it up, he puts on the earphones, and after about two minutes of listening he tears up. I don't show it, but in my mind I'm thinking, "HOLY crap!!!!"

I mean, this guy isn't a Neanderthal or anything, where he's not connected to his emotions, but he's not the type to wear his hear on his sleeves by any means either. Slowly, he puts the headphones down, comes to give me a huge, heartfelt hug and says, "Now I get it." Not to get too corny, but it really was a beautiful, emotional moment. One I'll remember for a long time.

As someone who's relatively new to the hobby there were several lessons for me. It was the first time I felt the FUN of trying to share why I'm excited about being an Audiophile with the relatively uninformed. Secondly, while I do enjoy reading and educating myself (slowly) with all the knowledge here, and there's often a strong focus on equipment and the search for the "endgame" DAP, DAC, Headphones, etc. which can be fun, NOTHING can beat the beauty of getting closer to the music, no matter what equipment gets us there.

This morning, both my wife's uncle and cousin said they're now interested in attending the upcoming Rocky Mountain Audio Fest show which is local for us. I'm looking forward to having some company instead of attending the show on my own, but it'll be really interesting to see if/how they both develop as they potentially begin their own Audiophile journey. Good stuff!

Aug 31, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #6 of 7
That was really great story to hear. Sadly, my family members aren't really the type who like headphones even though they never tried high end ones before. They are the type who would say it is too complicated and not worth the money or just overall not interested in audio at all.

Aug 31, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 7
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink... For me to try to persuade someone how fulfilling and deeply moving music on quality gear can be, would probably be as effective as them trying to get me turned on to some activity that holds little interest for me. Everyone experiences music differently. Some folks can just take it or leave it - it hardly touches them at all. Others have an intuitive grasp of it and can create it with ease. For others, like me, and I suspect most of the Head-fiers here, music directly touches our hearts like nothing else can. Being able to guide someone to that passion is a very satisfying experience itself. You took a smart approach - what is your favorite song that you know really well? A great way to get folks started in a terrific hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back