My A&K 'infected' my microcard, no longer add songs.
Oct 23, 2023 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

sheerheartattack

New Head-Fier
I recently bought an A&K 100, i transferred my microcard from my Fii0 X5 to hear what my new player sounded like.
When my PC recognized the new player i had a look on the screen and all my albums on the card had a little padlock symbol next to them.
I didn't like the A&K so i put the card back into my X5. So now i can no longer add any songs to this card whatsoever. It's as if it's been infected or something. I can move songs from the card but cannot add, which is a pain as this card has all my albums on it and has room for more.
What is happening, anyone know please?
Thanks.

Oct 23, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #2 of 13
No idea. If you can't figure it out, I would pull all the music off, format the card in the FiiO, and put everything back on. Pain but should work.

Oct 23, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #3 of 13
Isn't the card simply locked?
sdcard-lecture-ecriture.jpg

Oct 23, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #4 of 13
Oct 23, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #7 of 13
I recently bought an A&K 100, i transferred my microcard from my Fii0 X5 to hear what my new player sounded like.
When my PC recognized the new player i had a look on the screen and all my albums on the card had a little padlock symbol next to them.
I didn't like the A&K so i put the card back into my X5. So now i can no longer add any songs to this card whatsoever. It's as if it's been infected or something. I can move songs from the card but cannot add, which is a pain as this card has all my albums on it and has room for more.
What is happening, anyone know please?
Thanks.
I've had that happen to at least one micro-SD card in the past. Was with my FiiO X5III. It will play what is on there fine but one can longer add anything to it no matter what machine you try with. I think it couldn't even be reformatted--I tried everything. It's some sort of writing error that develops with them, not sure it's directly caused by whatever machine you discover it on, but once it happens, at least in my case, there's nothing you can do. You'll still have a card with music on it but it's frozen in time. This is just my experience but I remember others have had the same thing happen. They're sensitive little things. You could try to copy the music files to something else and attempt a reformat on the A&K and see what happens, but in my case the card just couldn't be altered in any way.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #9 of 13
Even with a card where all data is locked, as long as it's not damaged, you should be able to wipe the partition and reformat it.

If traditional right click doesn't work, then under computer management in Windows or diskpart from an elevated command prompt. If you're not experienced with diskpart, make sure all other drives are disconnected and that you're very clear on which one is the micro sd card. If not, third party utility. Last, I've seen Linux able to recover drives and cards when Windows couldn't.

Jan 9, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #12 of 13
Well, i got a new micro-card and just spent HOURS successfully transferring all my music folders from my old 'infected' card to the new one. However, when i try to introduce any new songs to any of the folders, i can't. It seems the 'infection' is now on the new micro-card. I can transfer the 'infected' folders and songs, but i can't add any new songs. The message i get is 'there is an error opening such and such file[the new file i'm trying to add to the new card] read-only file.'

Do i have to format a new micro-card? I didn't think of this until afterwards. I use Linux so i searched on how to do this. I attempted to do this and followed the steps but when i right-clicked on the micro-card i had to then click on 'format to' but although i could see this, it wasn't highlighted so i couldn't click on it.

Jan 11, 2024 at 3:00 AM Post #13 of 13
If you recently bought an AK100, it is at least 12 years old, probably closer to 14, about 5 yrs older than your Fiio. I'd say something that old will almost certainly have problems with card formatting - the parameters of the players will be many generations behind a recent computer. I don't think it's an infection, I think the ak100 is trying to format the card so that it can read it, but there is a generational mismatch which means it can't be read. If you wander over to the Astell and Kern site, you'll see that the OS tops out at XP, the card reading capacity tops out at 32 GB https://www.astellnkern.com/product/product_detail.jsp?productNo=44. You could always try a 32GB card to see if it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back