Musical Extremes
Feb 23, 2017 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

PL4Y3R 0N3

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been doing a lot of thinking about the music I listen to, and it got me thinking about musical tastes in general. Lots of people on this forum have an extremely varied and wide range of music they listen to. Thus my question:

If you had to pick just two songs, what are your musical extremes? What are the two songs that are on the furthest ends of your musical spectrum, that you fully love and listen to often?

My two are probably:
The Ocean Walker - Becoming The Archetype
Grow Fonder - Pogo (on YouTube only for now)

Lets see just how extreme these pairs can get!

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #2 of 10

If you had to pick just two songs, what are your musical extremes? What are the two songs that are on the furthest ends of your musical spectrum, that you fully love and listen to often?

On one end I have this because I think of certain, er, ways of thinking (I can't be more specific as per forum rules) are just annoying...

...but then on the other hand I have this because Hyejeong and Jimin have sooooooooooo much aegyo. Actually, scratch it, they all do. I just have favorites.

Most hilarious outtakes so far:

1. Friend runs out of battery during a BBQ, borrows my phone, sets MediaMonkey on random beginning with Behemoth up there. MM followed it up with that AoA track. Everybody who was there knows I'm a BC Rich-BossMetalZone-MesaBoogie kind of guy (or at "worst," Stradivarius, as in the violin not the band), so they stopped eating and did the slow confused head turn (mouths full of bloody steak and salad) to flash me a disapproving look.

2. Had a vacation and stayed at my parents' house in CA. Mom still remembers me as the "TURN IT DOWN!!!...are you smoking?! And is that beer?!" but then catches me watching this, in 1080p on the living room plasma. She goes, "what the hell are you watching?! you were more normal when you were in Adidas all day listening to that other guy! (I think she meant Korn)." Dad laughs from the kitchen saying "you won't get it, Ma!" He does, because the thing is, I couldn't go, "but Moooooooooooooom....LEGGZZ" at my mother, but I guess my dad has testicles so he understands what I'm looking at. Which is why I was on the plasma, and not necessarily that I was blasting it through their JBL HT speakers.

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 10

Sometimes, though, she hits a diminishing return on the sexiness. https://i.imgur.com/KPkBgS6.gif

​Out of the lot I like Choa, Mina, and Yuna the most. They all seem like nice people, probably'd be fun to hang out with.

​And if there was a third axis, anything from Taylor Swift.

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 10

Sometimes, though, she hits a diminishing return on the sexiness. https://i.imgur.com/KPkBgS6.gif

​Out of the lot I like Choa, Mina, and Yuna the most. They all seem like nice people, probably'd be fun to hang out with.

I kinda just don't enjoy Mina and Yuna dancing as much as the others, and Jimin being short but still being able to stand out despite her height (like on the Short Hair vid). All my friends are soooo into Choa (in this country she's probably the most popular, and had people ranting all the time about why people kept giving her crap about her yoyo weight) but she kinda looks too much like all my exes. Joke's on me though because I was watching SNL only to find one skit where Hyejeong behaving pretty much like all those exes (and the way people size her up by he facial expression is pretty much how my friends thought my exes would punch them in the face that when she reacts in any way to what they say, they just flinch).

On top of that, my idea of of what counts as cute tends to involve moments like this:

Girls normally would have a big problem with using a floating cow-pig to describe themselves. And one of my most hilarious episodes with one of my exes was her students giving her a papier mache shark, because that was the animal they think of first when they see her. Either way, those animals are typically used for negative things (coincidentally, Shark Girl is a lawyer now, so that is one amazing example of foreboding).

And I've dated a vegan before and man, was it awful (no wonder I really enjoyed "dessert," and ONLY "dessert") that I as soon as I could would eat yukhoe/tartare just to secretly spite her.

I'm also well trained by now on how to deal with hangry (cranky hungry) girls, although admittedly, I had more lecherous thoughts than anyone would think so about a mouthful of fried chicken.

---

The thing is though the idea of extremes and the opposite sex extends into how, while half of everyone I seriously dated were the "windows down, full blast (mainstream) metal" types, there is something consistent. That being how Motley Crue basically imprinted into "Girls, Girls, Girls...red lips, fingertips" into my then-10yo brain (not at the time that came out, I'm not that old), it's easy to see the link between my wallpaper...

...and what everyone who knows me as the weirdest albums in my Spotify, with everything in-between being all the sticks of Ruby Woo and Russian Red that my exes burned through.

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #6 of 10
Mmm, I'm not too into Mina in terms of what she contributes performance-wise (what does she do again, rap or something?). I've just seen her on enough shows to find her fairly interesting/funny. From what I've seen in my family circles, she is the most popular out of the seven. There was an episode of One Fine Day where she kept getting hit on in Macau, so I think there really is something that Chinese people find likeable about her, plus there's that clip of Seolhyun's dog constantly trying to mount her.

​With Choa and Yuna, most of their acoustic covers show that they could probaby cut everyone other than them and Jimin and sound exact the same. Literally, if they every decide to pull a TVXQ, those would probably be the three remaining. Not that most people are listening for the music, but I find their songs to be quite nice, at least more so than the usual fare, and those two (well, three) are mostly why.

​Choa just seems like your average Sue, maybe a bit airheaded, could be putting it on, but probably not a Hwayoung underneath. Probably why people like her, half blonde manic pixie, half exceedingly average and relatable. When I hear her talking about all that time she wasted as a trainee, it's hard not to feel bad.

​Hyejeong was pretty good in One Fine Day, didn't seem like she gave a schiit about stuff. And, yeah, probably the best looking one in the group. Most people in the group seem to be pretty good at not giving a schiit, like Choa asking the Kim Jong Un if he lost weight, Jimin with...everything. Chanmi seems pretty chill too.

Those are the eyes of someone who is not above burning my house down in order to fund her solo debut.

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 10
My two extremes:

Tannhauser, R. Wagner

'Screaming for Vengeance' - Judas Priest

Two more:

'Nothin' But the Taillights' - Clint Black

'Vapor Trail' - Crystal Method

I listen to pretty much everything except hip-hop.

Mar 19, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #9 of 10
The extremities of my musical tastes cannot really be expressed in two works, Here are just some examples of what I find enjoyable:

Vivaldi - Flute concerto "La temsta Di Mare" [storm of the sea]

Marilyn Manson - Redeemer. Perhaps one of the best tracks from the dumpster fire that was the Movie adaptation of the Queen of the damned.

Natacha Atlas - Iskanderia [Atlas Zamalek remix]

XOR- AWM remix.

TesseracT - Of Matter.

Weird Al Yankovic - Amish paradise.

Lion King OST: Hans Zimmer - To Die For [Instrumental]

Underworld - Born slippy

Elder scrolls online OST: Malukah - Beauty of the dawn

Chris Norman - LE Have River Waltz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back