Music review: Gernotshagen - Märe aus wälderen Hallen
Apr 3, 2009 at 9:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Zarathustra19

1000+ Head-Fier
http://www.ureuropa.com/catalog/images/gernotshagen.jpg

So, I've had this album for a quite a while now, since it came out in '07, but I never got around to giving it a review. Now, however, I'm taking a little break in my busy day of paper writing and novel reading to get it done.

Gernotshagen is a folk/folk black metal band from Germany. They mix a lot of clean speaking and singing (almost a gregorian chant sound) with growls and distorted guitars in the vein of traditional folk black metal.

At the time I got this album, I'd never heard anything like it, and to be honest, I've still not found anything that matches it, at least in my ears. The songs are well constructed, the musicians are proficient at what they do, and the vocalist(s) does/do a great job of balancing the harsh black metal screetches and growls with the clean.

Guitar interludes dot the music's landscape and provide some distance before you're placed back into a pre-battle song that sound like it's sending viking warriors to their deaths.

overall, an excellent album. Check it out if you're into this extreme type of music.

Buy it here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back