Music History lesson
Nov 11, 2001 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

KR...

Curator of the Headphone Lust Museum
I had this in an old e-mail, I have no clue where I got it from, but decided to share it with you all, so enjoy :

BEGINNING

It is known that upon entering into historical times, all civilizations had a flourishing musical culture. It is unknown, however, where that flourishing musical culture developed from. Some of the suggestions are that music was a primitive language, or used to “expedite communal labor”, or a component of religious ceremonies.

It is relatively clear that despite prehistoric musical artifacts found in central Europe, true Western music was born out of the Fertile Crescent. Here, the Mesopotamians, Egyptians, and Hebrews developed cultures (as early as c. 3,500B.C.) which were eventually conquered by the Greeks, and later the Romans. During these conquests, the conquerors brought the wonderful art form these cultures had developed, into western Europe.

It is considered that in these early cultures, music was primarily used for religious purposes, however pictures suggest it had other purposes as well. These included military, festival, and general accompaniments. It is interesting to note that music was always an accompaniment at this time, it would be a while before music was entertainment by itself.

When music first arrived in western Europe, having been brought there by the Romans, it immediately went under customization to meet the desires of the people it had been brought to. Music found itself being limited by new rules including the diatonic (7-note) scale which replaced some of the less restricted systems of the past. At this early point in music’s history, the art was already being laid out and set with the classifications, standards, etc.. Many of the early concepts of music are incredibly spectacular because they have survived. Prior to the Middle Ages, music had been prepared to entertain people right to this very date, with considerably small changes to its original structures.

MIDDLE AGES

As Western civilization emerged from it’s Dark Ages, a period of barbarians and invading hordes which brought an end to the Roman Empire, the Christian Church emerged. The Christian Church controlled so many aspects of life, including music. Pope Gregory I is credited with having organized the music known as the Gregorian Chant, the accepted music of the Church.

During the Middle Ages, music began to be subjected to different ideas and concepts which changed the art. These changes were for the better, and the worse. Of the better, was Western cultures first celebrated name in music, Guillaume de Machaut.

RENAISSANCE

The renaissance is considered to be the years ca.1420-1600. It was at this time that music was beginning to diversify and spread. Music no longer meant one type of song, or melody. Music had begun to become something that could represent an entire peoples, and something that was customized to be native to its creator/s.

Music had escaped the confining limits set on it by the church. Now artists were mastering polyphony, and music was becoming a true art. Incredible works were also made by artists like Giovanni da Palestrina.

Because the renaissance, or rebirth, was a time of great development in the sciences and arts, music was also greatly influenced. Some other great composers of the time were Byrd, Dowland, and Morley. Between these composers, and the musicians, music thrived.

BAROQUE

The Baroque era was a period of time where composers began revolting against the rules their music had been written under in prior eras. Monarchies all over were constantly trying to find methods to appear as better than another. One of the “tools” they used to do this, was the composer.

Sad as it was, composers had become machines that churned out impressive music for one monarchy to wave in the face of another. One of the best and most well-known composers of this era, Johann Sebastian Bach, was such a “machine”.

During this time, the most successful composers were those who broke out and managed to bring new ideas to their art. During the early 17th century, Monteverdi wrote some of the earliest operas, Antonio Vivaldi became known for his wonderful instrumental concertos, and Scarlatti brought the Harpsichord repertoire to new levels. All these composers broke free and brought new ideas to their art.

Other important developments of the time, were the dances which most of the era’s composers wrote. The leader of the era, however, is considered the vocal/choral music of such composers as Handel.

CLASSICAL PERIOD

The classical period is considered to be the period of time from 1750 to 1820. During this time, much of the ornate styles of the baroque era were dropped, and a simpler style was adopted. The monarchs and church were also replaced by the new aristocracies. These aristocracies also demanded different music, the music they demanded was more elegant and included minuets and gavottes.

During the classical period, Vienna became the musical core of Europe. It is for the reason that many works from the classical period are called works of the “Viennese style.” Artists from all over came to Vienna and the surrounding areas to study, work, and perform. These artists would set some of the standards of music for many years after.

Gluck brought a reform to the Baroque opera. Stamitz developed the idea of an orchestra symphony. Lastly, the three brilliant composers from the Viennese school, Mozart, Beethoven, and Haydn, developed some of the greatest musical works of all time. As well, Schubert and others began the transition into the next era, the Romantic era.

ROMANTIC ERA

With many changes to the way of social life coming about, music underwent equal changes. During the Romantic era (1820-1900) composers brought their music to new depths. It was during this time that music became incredibly emotional and some of the art’s most sensational pieces were created.

Some of the great composers of the early Romantic era include the incredible pianists, Chopin and Liszt. Also were the exceptional Germans, Mendelssohn and Schumann. All of these Romantic composers created some of the early and wonderful examples of the music this era was known for.

Throughout the Romantic era, composers were greeted with improving instruments and new ideas. Many composers began customizing the current musical styles to represent their nationalities. Also, new instruments allowed for larger orchestras, which meant bigger and better orchestral works, such as those by Brahms and Tchaikovsky.

TWENTIETH CENTURY

The music of the 1900’s, often referred to as “modern” music, represents the longing of composers to break free of past restraints in the art of composing. Schoenberg, one of the times most notable composers, experimented with new scales and systems by which to compose. Debussy created the “Impressionism” style, named after a movement in French art.

One of the most well-known composers of the time, made bold experiments with songs of past styles, and the unique ideas of the twentieth century. Of course, this composer was Bartok. Bartok took forms of the twentieth century and blended them with the Hungarian tunes of peasants.

Working on the modified orchestra, was an array of wonderful composers. These included Stravinsky, and Mahler. Both making the symphony more colorful.

While the century did bring many new forms of music. It also carried on the traditional music. music that could be enjoyed without an abstract ear. Some of the great composers of this music included Rachmaninoff and Puccini.

NEVER ENDING STORY

It is highly doubtful that one day people will stop playing, writing, and enjoying music. However, we are in a new century, or for that matter, a new millennium. Nothing can be assumed about the music of tomorrow.

Today, music is more broad a term than ever. Music covers everything from the sassy art of jazz, to the head banging ache of “heavy metal.” All the while, music still means the original styles it was known for.

So where will music take us next? To a new form? or to a revolution of our current forms? It’s easily assumed that people weren’t rapping, or swing dancing during the Baroque age. However, today we are. That’s only proof that new music, and new ways of enjoying it, are constantly being created.

Being in the “computer age” as some people call it, the power of computers is being used to simplify human life in every way possible. Today, with barely even an understanding of music, someone can turn on their computer and use a program to write something they may never be able to play! Or something nobody may be able to play, for that matter.

In this way, you could assume music has a very uncertain future ahead of it. If everyone in the world is ultimately presented with the opportunity to write or play music, we’re going to see a lot of diversity coming to our art. We’re going to see the diversity of the human race, come to the world of music.

Nov 11, 2001 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 9
KR, may I ask, who wrote this??
confused.gif

Quote:

Sad as it was, composers had become machines that churned out impressive music for one monarchy to wave in the face of another. One of the best and most well-known composers of this era, Johann Sebastian Bach, was such a “machine”.

I violently disagree. Bach was no innovator; he didn't come up with new forms. Instead, he _perfected_ previously existing baroque forms (except for opera, which he considered to be frivolous). He brought polyphony to such a perfection that nobody in later generations could match him. Among his masterpieces are the 295 church cantatas, the St Matthews Passion (which is more deeply devout than Handel's Messiah), the B minor Mass, his Brandenburg Concerti, the 48 preludes and fugues of the Well-tempered Clavier, etc. etc. etc.
NO machine can ever do that!

Nov 11, 2001 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 9
Hmm...interesting summary of western classical music's development...perhaps thread title should read "Western Music History Lesson" instead - I initially expected a more in-depth survey of SEVERAL cultures and their music.........

Nov 12, 2001 at 9:51 AM Post #5 of 9
Well, I agree with Fiddler that Bach was not a machine, nor a blind tool of governments. His music was not waved around or pitted against foreign composers. But I would say that in the course of perfecting polyphony, he was an innovator. While he did not adopt radical new forms for most of his life, his genius did come up with some innovations. For example, some of his work at Koethen, such as the well-tempered clavier and the cello suites contain music dissimilar from before. Perhaps just because it was so much better. But still, when I hear the sarabande from the fifth cello suite, I have trouble deciding whether it was written in 1720 or 1920. As for the rest of the article, interesting, and I will forgive its slights due to its status as an email....though I would have liked to see mention of Shostakovich, seeing as many (including myself) consider him among the greatest composers of the 20th cent. Oh well. All in all rather interesting.
Stuart

Nov 12, 2001 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Well, I agree with Fiddler that Bach was not a machine, nor a blind tool of governments. His music was not waved around or pitted against foreign composers.

You wouldn't be talking about Wagner, would you?
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2001 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 9
Hey! Wagner is my favorite of them all.
He helped shaped modern music more than any of those other guys. Like the way music is used in films, and so forth.

Oh, and before anyone even thinks it, Wagner died six years befire Hitler was even born.

Nov 12, 2001 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 9
Yes, Wagner is not mentioned, and he is very important in music history. Personally, I cannot abide his music, but that is just a matter of taste and scale. I find him sappy and over-dramatic, but like I said, that is me. He is certainly an important influence on many modern composers and dictators.
eek.gif
You are correct, he was dead before his music was politicized, but he was a virulent anti-semite. This however has very little to do with his music. I have an enormous amount of sympathy for any artist whose work is politicized without their blessing and for artists enslaved by totalitarian regimes -- see avatar -- whether during their lifetimes or posthumously. Anyway, I've got to go to the archives.
Ciao
Stu

P.S. Just to take one point to task. Wagner has not had nearly the influence on twentieth century music that Bach, Beethoven or that matter, Schoenberg have had. Film music is one thing, modern music as a whole is another ballgame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back