Music format to use with paradigm 4.1 + HK receiver?
Dec 31, 2004 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

number1sixerfan

Headphoneus Supremus
I'll be using paradigm atoms and titans along with a JBL 12" 250w subwoofer. The receiver will most likely a Harman Kardon AVR235 receiver. I'll be hooking this up to my computer via my TBSC digital out.

I'm not sure what format I want to use for my music. I currently use lame encoded 198kb mp3s. I'm sure their is a better format to use, as I notice some faults with my shure e3cs. I have about 120gb I can use for music alone.

What do you guys recommend?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 8
What compression rate should I use if I go with flac?

Dec 31, 2004 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan
What compression rate should I use if I go with flac?

Highest if you don't mind the longer encoding time. The default setting (compression level 5) is a fine compromise between filesize and encoding time. They all do sound the same because it is lossless.

Jan 1, 2005 at 12:37 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by breez
Highest if you don't mind the longer encoding time. The default setting (compression level 5) is a fine compromise between filesize and encoding time. They all do sound the same because it is lossless.

Is it true that seeking and playing flac files encoded at highest compression would be faster? How much?

Jan 1, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guust-Fi
Is it true that seeking and playing flac files encoded at highest compression would be faster? How much?

I was wondering the same thing. Can anyone shed some light?

Jan 5, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #7 of 8
anyone?

Jan 5, 2005 at 8:32 AM Post #8 of 8
I highly doubt it. You save, on average, about 1MB per file from going to -5 (default) to -8 (highest). Note that it takes around 5x as long to encode, however. Not worth it for me.

Anyway, I can't see how this would speed up seek times, or playing. Really, the delay between hitting 'Play' and hearing music is in the milliseconds anyway. Who cares?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back