Music enthusiast looking for some sense of direction.
Dec 17, 2014 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

louisrolland12

New Head-Fier
Hey, my name is Louis, and I love music. But I am positive that I am not getting the most out of what I am listening to. I am 16 and somewhat new to the higher aspects of music and sound quality. I Started really falling in love with artist about one or two years ago, and I have been through several headphones along the way. I first purchased Beats Solos because I, like very many average teen consumers, had no idea what they really were. They looked really nice, but I read some reviews when I was not blown away. I then purchased some cheap Sound logic headphones for like $30, just so that I could get a taste of over ear headphones. Although they were not amazing, they replaced the beats that had broke, and did me well for a while. After this I received a Christmas present from my father who had found a great deal on some headphones, Eskush or something like that. I liked the comfort and loved the fact that the headphones boomed and bounced on my head, and I could really FEEL the bass of the song, even if it wasn't great quality. Soon after I purchased some Blue Buds, wireless ear buds for working out, I really love the wireless and they are great for working out and jumping around, by again I was not blown away. Last month I decided that I really wanted to get into the headphone world, and decided to buy a pair of Audio Technica ATH WS55, meant for bass. Again I started to like my music more and more, and love the fact that the outside sound is reduced since they are over ear, I love the fact that no one can hear what I am listening to, and that they look acceptable. But I find them very uncomfortable, and want to change them right away, I hate the way they feel after wearing for more than 30 minutes, the pads just aren't comfortable whatsoever. I am looking o invest in a nicer pair and have approximately $100 more to throw into a new pair. I would like to sell the ones I have for around $70, so I would love to buy a pair right under $200. I currently have no amp, and was planning to buy a Fiios E17 instead of a new pair, but I find them very uncomfortable, and want to change them right away, I hate the way they feel, but the sound is good.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you don't want to read my life story than please just skip here.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So what am I looking for? 
- I listen to tons of music and have a few genres that I enjoy. I like to listen higher energy music such as Calvin Harris, or EDM. I also like to listen to some heavy bass, like most teens, I love the way it sounds, and hard hitting bass has always been one of the easiest ways for a beginner like myself to judge my headphones. I also really like to listen to rap songs that have nice slightly more vocal artists such as Hoodie Allen. BUT, I also listen to music to calm me down, and really enjoy great vocals, and guitars, such as the punk/alternative genre. I really like to listen to bands like Panic at the disco! and some softer music such as cold play. And like every teen, I listen to some trending hip hop every once in a while. I tend to stay away from country, classical, or even ballads. I am not particularly a fan of older rock groups either, and not a huge fan of guitar solos.
- I like the fact that it is a little quieter in my headphones, but I can still pause my music and perfectly hear if someone is trying to talk to me, without having to take them off. I really would prefer an over ear feel so that the people around me can't hear clearly, although I am not too bothered if they can hear it faintly.
- I am looking for something very comfortable pair of headphones, and I have a somewhat larger ear, although it is not excessively large. As I high school student I spend hours on end sitting by my computer and listening to music while doing homework, or relaxing and forgetting about the problems that life can hold.

Overall- I am a high school boy that listens to bass, but still really cares for highs and mids. Looking for a pair of over ear headphones that offer good comfort, amazing sound quality that will blow me away and really make me appreciate the art of music. I have looked at things such as the Senhieser 598s, V Moda LP2s, and I am really lost in a world that is so big, and offers so many options that are underwhelming at my budget. My budget is around $200 this year, and will probably throw in $120 for an amp next year. Thank you so much if you actually read this, and in all honesty I just needed someone to express my feelings to, even if it is just a blank computer screen.

Thanks so much, and I am open to almost anything that you can recommend.
- Louis

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 7
Hello, you should strongly consider Takstar Pro 80 + HM5 Pads.
HM5 pads are huge, most people tend to agree that comfort goes from 7 to 10 (stock pads vs HM5 Pads)

Takstar Pro 80s are pretty balanced with some kind of bass boost, but not too much that ruins the rest of the spectrum. In terms of build quality these headphones are great, surpassing many headphones that cost 2 and 3 times their price.

You can read a lot about them in this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-cyberx-qpad-thread/2640

Something more expensive that could be a great pick is Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm version, although an amp is a must in order to get their full potential.

Stay away from HD598, these are open back headphones that do not provide any isolation and leak sound. These are also bass light headphones.

Best Luck!

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 7
Look elsewhere than the HD598. I listen to a lot of electronic music and I didn't care for the HD598 in the slightest. It's way too bass light and simply not an exciting headphone for electronic music (although others might disagree). It's also open and won't give you the isolation you said you liked with the other closed headphones you own. 

Honestly at that price range you'd probably be best going out to try and listen to some headphones and see what you like. I'm sure it's easier to find sub $200 headphones to demo compared to something in the $1k price range. 

I've heard good things about the V Modas but I've never heard them so I can't help you with a suggestion there. I'd look at headphones like the Audio Technica M50 or M50x, or the Beyerdynamic DT770 - most likely the 32ohm. Those both have bass emphasis with a good overall sound that make any genre enjoyable and they're both very easy to drive. 

I'm sure other people will be able to add considerably more suggestions as I don't know a whole lot about headphones in that price range. If you're really into bass though and might consider yourself a basshead check this thread out - http://www.head-fi.org/t/715697/the-audiophile-bass-lounge-basshead-club-part-ii

Even if you don't necessarily want that MUCH bass it might at least be a good reference point to base some of your research around. 

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 7
Look elsewhere than the HD598. I listen to a lot of electronic music and I didn't care for the HD598 in the slightest. It's way too bass light and simply not an exciting headphone for electronic music (although others might disagree). It's also open and won't give you the isolation you said you liked with the other closed headphones you own. 

Honestly at that price range you'd probably be best going out to try and listen to some headphones and see what you like. I'm sure it's easier to find sub $200 headphones to demo compared to something in the $1k price range. 

I've heard good things about the V Modas but I've never heard them so I can't help you with a suggestion there. I'd look at headphones like the Audio Technica M50 or M50x, or the Beyerdynamic DT770 - most likely the 32ohm. Those both have bass emphasis with a good overall sound that make any genre enjoyable and they're both very easy to drive. 

I'm sure other people will be able to add considerably more suggestions as I don't know a whole lot about headphones in that price range. If you're really into bass though and might consider yourself a basshead check this thread out - http://www.head-fi.org/t/715697/the-audiophile-bass-lounge-basshead-club-part-ii

Even if you don't necessarily want that MUCH bass it might at least be a good reference point to base some of your research around. 

What about the Senheiser momentum for example?

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 7
i personally didn't like them but I know many people here do. Look up some reviews and threads here to see if it sounds like something you'd be in to. I'm sure there's a momentum thread here where you can ask specific questions about the headphones. One thing though is that they're closed and easy to drive so that at least would suit what you're looking for. 

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 7
What about the Senheiser momentum for example?

Some people complain about Momentum's ear pads (just a tad small, you know.)

Both DT770s and ATH M50s should provide lively treble, while Momentums are more relaxed up there.
Different flavours.

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #7 of 7
Yea I agree - I didn't find the momentums to be all that comfortable.

You're right. Usually for a headphone to reproduce sound with a bass emphasis the mids tend to be recessed and then the highs tend to stick out a bit more and that gives certain headphones a "fun" or exciting sound signature. I agree the highs on the DT770/M50 are forward but I wouldn't consider either of them to be too sharp or fatiguing. Sennheisers tend to lean towards more relaxed treble response. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back