Multiple Soundcards on a G4, Anyone?
May 17, 2003 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

scrypt

Head-Fi's Sybil
I'm toying with buying a cheap consumer card (such as the M-Audio Revolution) for mere CD/Mp3/DVD listening; the card would be routed to a different system than my PCI-424. I tend not to want to use and power my pro audio gear for other purposes.

Are there any compatibility issues that anyone has encountered using multiple soundcards? I suppose I'll speak to people at the MOTU/M-Audio sites on Monday.

May 17, 2003 at 11:02 AM Post #2 of 5
I would doubt it, but can't say for sure. Did you have any problem between the built in "card" and your PCI? There's also the USB options (some of which require no drivers). I run my headphones off my Xitel and my cheap stereo off the built in (whatever it is). On the driver issue... again doubt it, but maybe. As a comparison, although I only had two video cards in, I think I had about six video cards drivers running at one point with pre-Jag OSX and didn't have any problems.

May 17, 2003 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 5
My particular G4 has sleep mode issues with various PCI cards already, even some of the most standard fare (Adaptec). I can't be forced to care about such issues because music recording is a bit more important than making use of a feature that is counter-indicated for hard drive digital recording in the first place. But the conflict does raise questions. There are people who say they've had freezes when Cubase and Digital Performer were installed on the same hard drive. The goal in finessing a computer-based digital recording system is always stability, so I have to consider all possible sources of trouble.

Perhaps the best people to ask will be at MOTU and M-Audio. I'll post the answers if I find out anything useful.

May 17, 2003 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 5
I had sleep issues with no additional PCI/USB/etc. installed and a pretty clean OSX install.
frown.gif
Seems a lot of laptop users do also. Occasionally osxhints has solutions. Let us know what you find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back