MTV's Becoming: Non-Teenage Girl N'Sync fans Exist!?
Dec 9, 2002 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

chillysalsa

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, I was channel surfing a while ago and discovered this show where fans of a band get to act out their favourite musicians video. Anyhow, I was shocked to see the boys they picked to act out N'Sync's 'Girlfriend' video: my first thought was, "WhAT? Boys like that kind of thing?"

Ok Ok, to all the N'Sync fans, I'm sure there ARE merits to their music if you listen to the whole album, and I'm not saying that it's bad music at all. It's just that, I never thought anyone that's NOT a 9-15 yr old teenage girl could be into the band THIS MUCH. I'm sorry, but I was speechless.

The icing on the cake was when they sent them on a CD shopping spree as part of their prize, and they all bought more N'Sync and Britney Spears CDs. I was floored..

I guess you can't assume what 'demographic profile' fit a particular artist.

Dec 9, 2002 at 2:43 PM Post #2 of 6
That's bullcrap. They had to be paid to do that. "Hey kid, psst.. you pick Brit, Sync, and you know, all that other bad music on our labels, and here's five G's..."

The ultimate is when MTV had that fan show -- I think it was titled Fanatic (or something to that effect) -- anyhow.. the band was Hansen and the fanatic was some 30+ year old male who, well, almost teared up when he finally got to meet Hansen. Dude, I just about hurled.

When Hansen was being interviewed by this pedophile, I mean.. umm.. fanatic, they surprised him with some backstage passes, and this guy was so pumped, I think he seriously spookd out Hansen.

I think that guy is a future candidate for the American's Most Wanted.. Don't ask about the audio hyperlink on the word above. I was just having so much fun with Dictionaroke, I thought, oh what the hell.

Dec 9, 2002 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 6
production value comes into play for these bands. i have seen quite a few unexpected nsync-type fans in my days, especially among people who are fans of (or aspire to be a part of) broadway theatre. what these boy bands do is very akin to the production of a broadway musical: singing and dancing, while singing. despite what anyone says, this is not an easily-accomplished goal and can really kick the hell out of you if you've ever tried it.

i consider myself a fan of theatre (although not very heavily engrossed in it) and i can appreciate, on some levels, what members of boy bands and the like do. for instance, i certaintly couldn't perform in a concert for two hours, dancing and singing the whole time. do i think that the "genre" is overrated? yes, i do. but everything, in the end, takes some talent and at least some skill. different people appreciate different things.

also, have you been outside lately? there's some real packets of humanity floating around..
wink.gif

p.s. on the original subject of remaking videos.. of all the videos on mtv, which one would be the most fun/easy to remake? a video filled with hot chicks where you just sit around and lipsynch (rap, nsync, etc.) or that legos video by the white stripes?

Dec 9, 2002 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 6
I came across an interesting quote from Enjoythemusic.com 's review of some Konus speakers:

"Pick any artist and then ask yourself, who is their audience? Then stop for a moment and consider to what degree does their music and lyrics play to the attitudes, sentiments, and belief systems of that audience? Take Brittany Spears for example:

Q: Who is her audience?

A: Mostly girls.

Q: What kind of girls?

A: Young. Early teenage. Reasonably stable and well-adjusted psychologically while still in the early stages of emotional and physiological development. From working class families. Girls with ok manners that do their homework. Also, basically white, suburban, middle-class girls who are expecting to go to college. Brittany's audience is definitely suburban, not big city or farm-type rural. Thirteen-year olds thinking about boys and first kisses and crushes and who they are, how they look and what they will become. Coming-of-age girls who are concerned about their future while still very much connected to the life and structure of their family.

Q: What about Eminem? Who is his audience?

A: Youngish boys mainly. Black and white. Sensitive young men from all parts of the country - urban, suburban, rural. Medium smart. Boys from working class families but not happy about their home life. Don't do much homework. Smoke pot drink beer and cut school occasionally. Hang out in small boy groups. Feel depressed often. Feel like an outsider in their own home. College smart but not college directed.

If you listen even briefly to Brittany's or Eminem's music I think you will find it easy to identify the attitudes, sentiments and states of mind of their respective audiences. You can readily apply this audience-analysis to any type of music or art. (You say you don't like their music? Why not? Maybe because you don't admire or respect or identify with the attitudes sentiments and state of mind of their audience? Maybe because you don't want to be identified with their constituency? What would people think if you told them you liked the Back Street Boys?) The content and inspiration of all music is always the lifestyle and attitudes of its listeners. This applies to hi-fi equipment as well. "

That was exactly the 'profiling' that I was thinking of...

Enjoythemusic.com Konus Speaker Review

Dec 9, 2002 at 6:26 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by chillysalsa
Brittany's audience is definitely suburban, not big city or farm-type rural.

Well, this line is ********. I worked in a music store here in Brooklyn, NY...definitely not the 'burbs and Britney's sold hella fast when they came out.

Dec 10, 2002 at 10:39 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

production value comes into play for these bands. i have seen quite a few unexpected nsync-type fans in my days, especially among people who are fans of (or aspire to be a part of) broadway theatre. what these boy bands do is very akin to the production of a broadway musical: singing and dancing, while singing. despite what anyone says, this is not an easily-accomplished goal and can really kick the hell out of you if you've ever tried it.

i consider myself a fan of theatre (although not very heavily engrossed in it) and i can appreciate, on some levels, what members of boy bands and the like do. for instance, i certaintly couldn't perform in a concert for two hours, dancing and singing the whole time. do i think that the "genre" is overrated? yes, i do. but everything, in the end, takes some talent and at least some skill. different people appreciate different things.

That's very true, but that's exactly what I look at Britney Spears, 'N Sync, etc. as - performers, not artists. And because of their ability to perform well, which does in fact take skill, they are able to make much money. Indeed, they may not be as talented in singing/song-writing as other artists, but it is undeniable that they are extremely hard-working people, which is really what makes them deserve the money they get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back