MSB DAC owners
May 4, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #16 of 19
still leaning mpd8....r2r dacs might be a little warm. nothing wrong with that tho.
I did have an MSB Discrete next to my EMM Labs DA2, and the EMM was the better DAC and more to my tastes personally. The Premier is probably more on par, but MSB is a warmer, chunkier, and "gooer" sound. The DSD DACs tend to be more fast and fluid, and smoother, but less warm. The DA2 was much more fast, detailed and spacious, but less rich. And the other DACs like DCS and Chord are sharper and brighter.

Still, I'd love to own an MSB DAC at least at the Premier level.

One thing to be mindful of with headphone amps is the DAC output voltage. My HM1+Susvara had a really hard time with MSB's 3.5v, does well with EMM Labs 7v, and LOVES my Mytek at 10v. On the other hand, some amps like Pathos Inpol Ear overload above 4v! So you do have to match these. I dont think MSB is hot enough for the HM1, but might be perfect for others.

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #17 of 19
still leaning mpd8....r2r dacs might be a little warm. nothing wrong with that tho.
You'd be (pleasantly) surprised by the MSB "R2R"-ness or lack thereof. I've had my fair share of R2R DACs and the Premier is the least R2R sounding DAC I've had. As a matter of fact it's more transparent and clear that a lot of non-R2R DACs out there.

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #18 of 19
Well then )

May 4, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #19 of 19
Has anyone had/heard the discrete and the premier and could comment on how they differ?

Currently running the discrete+dual PSU + proisl USB and curious about upgrading just to the premier power base or upgrading the to the premier dac as well

Thankyou

Users who are viewing this thread

Back