MP3 vs. FLAC (Split from Modi Multibit thread)
Aug 24, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #46 of 55
  The highest quality VBR doesn't seem to cut down the high frequencies at all. Not even above 20kHz. I tried to find where I could set the low pass filter cut off frequency but to no avail. Should I go to the encoder's folder or there should be an option for it in dBpoweramp?

I can't comment on that, I have never used that specific software to drive the codec. In FFMPEG, it's -cutoff 18000, or similar.

That said, you might be right- everything I can find says that AACENC_BITRATEMODE set to 5 doesn't have a filter. I guess making a spectrogram could confirm that.

Aug 24, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #47 of 55

I can't comment on that, I have never used that specific software to drive the codec. In FFMPEG, it's -cutoff 18000, or similar.

That said, you might be right- everything I can find says that AACENC_BITRATEMODE set to 5 doesn't have a filter. I guess making a spectrogram could confirm that.

I used Audacity's plot spectrum to draw my conclusions.

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #48 of 55

I used Audacity's plot spectrum to draw my conclusions.

Using the fdkaac front-end program on Linux, I also get no HF cutoff. Actually the really high freqs look really clean between eig.wav and an AAC at highest (5) VBR. What does pop is an odd-looking artifact between 4-5k right before the transient in the R channel:

Sep 10, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #49 of 55
This is actually an important decision for me, as I'm a musician and considering doing my music production using remote-desktop. It would be impossible to stream FLAC quickly enough for this, so the best I could hope for would be 320 mp3.

But I doubt I'll find software that can convert the .wav output of my software into mp3 in real time using a good algorithm...

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #50 of 55
  It would be impossible to stream FLAC quickly enough for this, so the best I could hope for would be 320 mp3.

I am curious why you say that?  I have minimstreamer converting my FLAC to WAV and playing that and it seems to be quick enough.

If you're made of money you could go the Rednet/AES67/Ravenna route.

I use FLAC because my system uses lots of extra metadata that the other formats don't keep.

Sep 10, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #51 of 55
I don't give a crap anymore.  For the type of equipment that nearly all of us use, the differences are so minuscule it is barely even worth debating about in a rational manner.  How awesome are iTunes AAC, Spotify Ogg Vorbis, Google's MP3?  Pretty....freaking....awesome!   Same goes for practically any other music service.  Go for it.  You won't be disappointed.

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #52 of 55
  I am curious why you say that?  I have minimstreamer converting my FLAC to WAV and playing that and it seems to be quick enough.

If you're made of money you could go the Rednet/AES67/Ravenna route.

I use FLAC because my system uses lots of extra metadata that the other formats don't keep.

Maybe I'm wrong, but people have told me my idea wouldn't work, because internet isn't fast enough for uncompressed audio.

For example, I press a note on my keyboard, it should sent a key-stroke to the 'server' computer, and the server computer would send a 2-second audio clip back to me. How much time would that take with .wav, .flac, or .mp3?

I'm looking up these devices and don't quite understand... they would help by transmitting the audio wirelessly from one computer to the next?

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #53 of 55

Maybe I'm wrong, but people have told me my idea wouldn't work, because internet isn't fast enough for uncompressed audio.

For example, I press a note on my keyboard, it should sent a key-stroke to the 'server' computer, and the server computer would send a 2-second audio clip back to me. How much time would that take with .wav, .flac, or .mp3?

I'm looking up these devices and don't quite understand... they would help by transmitting the audio wirelessly from one computer to the next?

I don't know why people would say that the Internet is too slow for audio when it streams GB of video.  Audio is nothing.  My WAV from my old PPC iBook to my player tops out at about 5Mb/s @ 96KHz/24b so about Ethernet speeds from the 80s. (by "Internet" I assume you mean any IP-based protocol).

Wireless is a different thing.  Wireless doesn't even work in my house.

In regards the  products, those are products designed for studio and venue use which, from what I've read have a latency of 10ms.  They send input streams from one device to another, like a mic to a mixing board.

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #54 of 55
I am converting my FLAC library to MP3 -V4 (I will keep both, of course) to put in my LG G3.

MP3 -V4 is totally trasparent to me, at least with the tracks I tested (and with my soundcard/headphone). And it has +/- 1/7 the size of my FLAC files (3.000 songs ~ 12gb).

Sep 15, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #55 of 55
  I am converting my FLAC library to MP3 -V4 (I will keep both, of course) to put in my LG G3.

MP3 -V4 is totally trasparent to me, at least with the tracks I tested (and with my soundcard/headphone). And it has +/- 1/7 the size of my FLAC files (3.000 songs ~ 12gb).

That's about the same space savings as I get with 96k Opus. When you lug all your music around with you, size actually matters! If I find the occasional track that has an obvious artifact, I just kick it up to 128k. I'm actually glad to not be someone who can tease out things from 256k AAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back