Mp3 to alac
Sep 8, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #16 of 22
Tried that WAV vs ALAC. Can't distinguish to my ears... But the WAV does take up some more space...
Indeed the quality suffer a decrease that way but to my memory... It's just a few number drop in bit rate other than that, no differences if my memory recall it correctly

Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

Counting the bitrates won't do you much good when comparing sound quality.

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #18 of 22
So sample rate as well?

What I mean to say, is that bit rate is just one among a number of variables that affect the sound quality of a file, and one that, unless you know exactly how the file was made, should be disregarded completely. 
It is trivial to take a 128kbps file and pad it out to say 4600kbps by expanding it to 24/96 raw PCM, and you can easily make a terrible sounding 320kbps file by either using an old encoder, or ancient codec. And then there's a number of ways in in which the data can get corrupted.
All in all it's better take a (blind) listen for yourself, rather than just blindly trusting the numbers. Or buy FLAC/ALAC from a reputable seller and forget about the rest.

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #19 of 22
This ^^^^

Billson - if you do want to try an abx test (blind test) and you are PC based, you can actually set it up really easy.  Then at least you know for yourself.

I'd suggest lossless vs MP3 320 with latest LAME encoder, and also lossless vs aac256 (I use the Nero encoder).  I'd be surprised if most people without audio training can actually tell the difference (I know I can't).

Here's a link that'll help you with the set-up ......
http://www.head-fi.org/t/655879/setting-up-an-abx-test-simple-guide-to-ripping-tagging-transcoding

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #20 of 22
This ^^^^

Billson - if you do want to try an abx test (blind test) and you are PC based, you can actually set it up really easy.  Then at least you know for yourself.

I'd suggest lossless vs MP3 320 with latest LAME encoder, and also lossless vs aac256 (I use the Nero encoder).  I'd be surprised if most people without audio training can actually tell the difference (I know I can't).

Here's a link that'll help you with the set-up ......
http://www.head-fi.org/t/655879/setting-up-an-abx-test-simple-guide-to-ripping-tagging-transcoding

Thanks of the respond and I am definitely in for this test after my school exam xD

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #21 of 22
  It is definitely still worth having a nice setup if you have all MP3 files, given they are legitimate files. MP3 and AAC are both great at high bitrates.

As for where to get lossless files, I think your best bet is to check the artists website. If they have them available their site will most likely point you to them. I always buy the CD if I can though.

I don't know what you mean by "Will changing the bit of an mp3 in itunes improve the sound?", but you can't improve the sound quality of a lossy file through normal means. The data lost is gone, you can't get it back.

Are songs on itunes high bit rate mp3 and aac files?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back