Most immersive sound solution for PC gaming
Oct 27, 2014 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Jackal87

New Head-Fier
Like the title says I'm looking for the best sound solution for my PC! Whether it's a high end headphone, sound card, combination of both, etc! Budget is $450! I have been recommended a sound card with the Sennheiser HD 598! Is this the best under $450 or is there something better??? I use my PC strictly for gaming, no music or movies! Thank you in advance!

Oct 27, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #2 of 12
Like the title says I'm looking for the best sound solution for my PC! Whether it's a high end headphone, sound card, combination of both, etc! Budget is $450! I have been recommended a sound card with the Sennheiser HD 598! Is this the best under $450 or is there something better??? I use my PC strictly for gaming, no music or movies! Thank you in advance!

I'm assuming you do a lot of FPS gaming?
A Senn HD598 and a Sound Blaster Z sound card will be about as good as anything else for FPS gaming.
Or even getting a cheaper HD558 and removing the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558, which make it somewhat more like a HD598.

You can also asking gaming setup questions on these threads.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-10-15-2014-beyerdynamic-t51i-added
http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #3 of 12
Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet.

You might want to start here.

I have heard that the HD 558 is very similar to the 598 and is generally much cheaper. My wife uses the HD558, and I really liked those. I haven't spent a whole lot of time listening to them (I use the HD600). From there, you have many options for improving quality. A dedicated sound card offers electrical isolation from noise inside your PC and generally has better components for digital to analog conversion (DAC) as well as amplifier circuits. Also keep in mind that some sound cards support Dolby Headphone, which helps to process 3D imaging effects. Razer offers a free software to do some of this as well.

You could also get a dedicated desktop DAC and amp that would offer even better components, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. The biggest change in your sound quality experience is going to come from better headphones (or speakers). Focus on finding a good pair of headphones first, and then see what else you can do to tweak the best sound out of them.

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #6 of 12
I'm no audiophile so I know nothing about DAC and amps lol

Well, you definitely want a soundcard for gaming because of the virtual surround features. You could go with a cheap sound card and then connect an external optical (not USB) dac/amp, or you could go for an internal sound card to plug your headphones directly into.

Oct 27, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 12
If there's something I learned from building computers is that you get what you pay for and that its always better to do it right the first time! So I think I'm going with a good quality sound card and a pair of Sennheiser HD 598! Is the Sound Blaster Z purpleangel recommended good? I thought about getting an Asus
Xonar Essence STX

Oct 27, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #8 of 12
If there's something I learned from building computers is that you get what you pay for and that its always better to do it right the first time! So I think I'm going with a good quality sound card and a pair of Sennheiser HD 598! Is the Sound Blaster Z Purpleangel recommended good? I thought about getting an Asus
Xonar Essence STX

I would take the Asus Xonar Essence STX over the Sound Blaster Z myself.
I just like to start out recommending the cheaper options first.

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #9 of 12
You guys have been very helpful, thank you. Last question before I place an order and again this is strictly for gaming...Beyerdynamic MMX300 or Sennheiser HD600? They're both the same price. The MMX 300 comes with a mic but I don't care about that! I only care about sound quality.

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #10 of 12
I don't know because I don't worry about positional audio for PC gaming. I would choose one of the 9.5 or 10 competitive rating headphones off of Mad Lust Envy's list.

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #11 of 12
  You guys have been very helpful, thank you. Last question before I place an order and again this is strictly for gaming...Beyerdynamic MMX300 or Sennheiser HD600? They're both the same price. The MMX 300 comes with a mic but I don't care about that! I only care about sound quality.

Ditch Both and get teh Beyerdyanmic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm, it's one of Mad Lusts favorite, should be cheaper than the MMMX300 

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #12 of 12

The Beyerdynamic MMX300 appears to be a DT770 Premium 32-Ohm headphone with a mic added.
So cheaper to just get the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm.
Sennheiser HD600 might offer better audio quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back