Most comfortable Headset/Headphone ?!
May 29, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #16 of 28

558's are like $120.  But all I hear is Sennhesier has a lot of clamp.  The 3 that I recently tried did.  And MadLust's reviews of the 598's state they area little clampy as well.

I haven't looked at MadLust's stuff in a really long time, but it really surprises me that he says the 598's are clampy.

I have Astro A40s, Sennheiser HD598, and V-Moda M100 and my Sennheiser's are easily the most comfortable and least-clampy of the three.
I however hate them for gaming (bullets sound super tiny with them, while they don't with the M100 or A40).

May 31, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #18 of 28
I actually did a mic mod on someones DT990 for them and used that mic, it only picked up your voice if it was aimed directly at your mouth, so I made an extension for it. It worked alright, but sub-par for online game chat. 

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #19 of 28
I have the Sennheiser PC360.  Like it very much.

Jun 1, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #20 of 28
The Q701 is an awesome gaming headset, but I find the DT990 more comfortable. Here's what I use.

Q701 with an AntLion ModMic 3.0 > 3.5mm audio + 3.5mm mic >TRRS adapter. I connect this to my Astro MixAmp Pro

Jun 1, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #21 of 28
Most comfortable headphone?

Ultrasone HFI-15G.

No, really. It weighs nothing, has super soft on ear pads (trust me, even as on ears, nothing full sized compares, even the MA900), and the build quality is nuclear winter proof, despite it looking cheap.

It's also open and bassy, which isn't common.

It looks retro, and feels cheap, because it's all plastic and doesn't weigh a damn thing. Don't let that fool you. I recommend it to anyone wanting a compy headphone that is open and bassy. Like a poor man's X1, though quite less refined and stronger in bass.

Jun 1, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #22 of 28
FYI, there is a reasonably-price MA900 on the classifieds right now.  I've bought from this guy before and he's definitely trustworthy and takes care of his gear. 

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #23 of 28
Most comfortable headphone?

Ultrasone HFI-15G.

No, really. It weighs nothing, has super soft on ear pads (trust me, even as on ears, nothing full sized compares, even the MA900), and the build quality is nuclear winter proof, despite it looking cheap.

It's also open and bassy, which isn't common.

It looks retro, and feels cheap, because it's all plastic and doesn't weigh a damn thing. Don't let that fool you. I recommend it to anyone wanting a compy headphone that is open and bassy. Like a poor man's X1, though quite less refined and stronger in bass.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ultrasone-hfi-15g-black
This review and some others state that they are a little "clampy".  That was one of the things I liked about the MA900 reviews, just enough clamp to stay on your head.  Of course I could do the stretch mod, i will look into these as well.  Thanks!

FYI, there is a reasonably-price MA900 on the classifieds right now.  I've bought from this guy before and he's definitely trustworthy and takes care of his gear. 

I assume you are talking about the buy/sell forum here?  I looked and did a search as well...don't see anything.  Can you link me?

OK now I see this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/721465/fs-beyerdynamic-t1-sony-ma900-philips-x1-sony-mdr7520
But that was only created 1hour ago, your post was 12hours ago.  There must be another one somewhere.

EDIT, found it...maybe:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/720909/fs-sony-mdr-ma900-openback-headphones-price-drop

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #24 of 28

EDIT, found it...maybe:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/720909/fs-sony-mdr-ma900-openback-headphones-price-drop

That's the one.  @Soundsgoodtome is a quality seller, I'm sure you'll be happy with the transaction if you decide to get it.

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #25 of 28
OK.  I'm about 99% sure I am going to pull the trigger on the Ultrasone HFI-15G's.  Thanks MadLust.  Read a few more reviews and several people said they were the most comfortable headphone they ever wore.  That sold me.  Specially considering they seem to be pretty decent for gaming and even "fun factor", for under $100.  If they don't work, I will probably return them and get the MA900's.  But I think they will work!  God I hope so.

EDIT: Got one new with free shipping for $82 on ebay.  I thought that was a good deal.  We'll see!

Jun 6, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #26 of 28
Is there any good mix amp I could buy with these?  I have kind of a background buzzing noise.  It's my soundcard I know, happens with any headphone/speakers.  Just wondering if a mixer or something would fix it.

Only been wearing for like 15min now, but they feel like a cloud on my ears. =)  Might try the declamporize them a tad bit though.

Update:  Wore them all night.  Forgot to take them off when I stopped playing.  They def meet my needs.  Thanks MadLust!

Jun 7, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #27 of 28
I feel they're a safe bet as far as comfort/weight/immersion goes. They're almost always on my head at night, when I can't use my Pioneer soundbar with all the oomph. The only thing I wish was better for the 15G was mids, but it's to be expected with Ultrasone's presentation of sound being more leaning towards bass and treble. That and they're quite insensitive and demand more out of volume than normal headphones.

You use them for music/gaming? Like I mean, what do you normally attach it to?

In any case, I'm a huge fan of the Xonar U3. It's cheap, has Dolby headphone, and you can attach another optical dac/amp to it for even better sound quality, and still maintain surround. That's a good first step, IMHO. I simply just toggle off the surround setting when listening to music, at least until you get a better dac/amp.

KT66 should be ashamed for recommending the ATH-ES7. That thing is an absolute nightmare on the ears. I feel he was trolling.

Ah yeah, I forgot to respond about it's clamp. I have a big head, and I would never consider the 15G clampy. It's probably the ONLY on ear headphone that doesn't cause my ears pain (though my right ear is super sensitive and gets just a little discomfort from anything, even my fave comfy can, the KSC75). I'm sure you've noticed just how stupid comfortable the 15G is. I'm someone who finds even the KSC75 with the parts express headband very uncomfortable, and prefer the clips. the Sennheiser PX-100II is also one of my favorite sounding on ear headphones, but THAT one IS clampy, and I found it quite uncomfortable after a prolonged period of use.

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #28 of 28
I feel they're a safe bet as far as comfort/weight/immersion goes. They're almost always on my head at night, when I can't use my Pioneer soundbar with all the oomph. The only thing I wish was better for the 15G was mids, but it's to be expected with Ultrasone's presentation of sound being more leaning towards bass and treble. That and they're quite insensitive and demand more out of volume than normal headphones.

You use them for music/gaming? Like I mean, what do you normally attach it to?

In any case, I'm a huge fan of the Xonar U3. It's cheap, has Dolby headphone, and you can attach another optical dac/amp to it for even better sound quality, and still maintain surround. That's a good first step, IMHO. I simply just toggle off the surround setting when listening to music, at least until you get a better dac/amp.

KT66 should be ashamed for recommending the ATH-ES7. That thing is an absolute nightmare on the ears. I feel he was trolling.

Ah yeah, I forgot to respond about it's clamp. I have a big head, and I would never consider the 15G clampy. It's probably the ONLY on ear headphone that doesn't cause my ears pain (though my right ear is super sensitive and gets just a little discomfort from anything, even my fave comfy can, the KSC75). I'm sure you've noticed just how stupid comfortable the 15G is. I'm someone who finds even the KSC75 with the parts express headband very uncomfortable, and prefer the clips. the Sennheiser PX-100II is also one of my favorite sounding on ear headphones, but THAT one IS clampy, and I found it quite uncomfortable after a prolonged period of use.

I will be using them almost exclusively for gaming.

I will look into the ASUS Xonar U3.

They are very comfy.  My only fear is when I play PC games I am often on voice chat, and I also do not use push to talk.  My PC 151 headset worked fine for that.  I just bought the Olympus ME-52W, hoping it will be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back