Most comfortable ear tips ever
Apr 17, 2024 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

cachedbrown

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I have pretty sensitive ears so I was looking for some comfortable ear tips to use with IEM’s. Putting sound aside entirely, what are the single most comfortable earbuds you have ever tried? I know customs are an option, but I was looking to see if any universal tips would resolve my problem before I resort to that.
Thanks!

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 11
I deal with similar issues as you do.

For me, nothing beats customs. Nothing even comes close to customs. But in a pinch, and for shorter durations, Eletech Baroque tips are super soft and compliant, and I easily prefer them over Spinfits, AZLAs, etc.

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 11
I deal with similar issues as you do.

For me, nothing beats customs. Nothing even comes close to customs. But in a pinch, and for shorter durations, Eletech Baroque tips are super soft and compliant, and I easily prefer them over Spinfits, AZLAs, etc.
Thanks! I’ll have to check those out. I would really like to go custom but I was planning on getting the Xenon 6, and I’m pretty sure the custom ear tips would cover the extra base port. I know they make customs of the IEM’s themselves, but that’s a ton of money to dump in to a purchase that I can’t sell or return. I think I need to see how a custom fit feels first before I take the dive.

Apr 17, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 11
Apr 17, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #5 of 11
That would be, like, not optimal. :smile:

Hi Warren,

Speaking of custom IEM, how do they go for reliable seal if moving ones jaw or facial muscles when smiling for example, given that the surface contacting the ear is hard resin typically and not able to move with ones ear cavity ?

I ask out of curiosity, I don't really see a custom IEM in my future. I did have some custom fitted hearing protection made. They were fine if I had a neutral facial position like when the fit was taken but when moving my facial muscles in any way my ear cavity also moved a little breaking the seal.

That would obviously also not be optimal for sound of a custom IEM I would guess.

I assume one doesn't smile or yawn when listening with CIEM :relaxed:

Oops ... edited while you were responding .. no matter.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 11
From my personal experience, this is largely dependent on how the initial impressions were made. My best fitting/conforming customs were made with bite blocks in their short orientation. That accounts for small openings of my mouth covering normal human behavior. For working vocalists and musicians, I could see the tall orientation being preferred, as their use case involves singing, blowing into instruments, etc.

Speaking of custom IEM, how do they go for reliable seal if moving ones jaw or facial muscles when smiling for example, given that the surface contacting the ear is hard resin typically and not able to move with ones ear cavity ?

Smiling generally doesn't break the seal for me. Talking can a little bit, but that logically takes care of itself, as I'm not really concentrating on the music while talking to somebody (like a gate agent or flight attendant). The worst is eating, as not only does that break the seal, but I can hear myself chewing, loudly.

I ask out of curiosity, I don't really see a custom IEM in my future, but because I did have some custom fitted hearing protection for competitive clay target shotgun shooting and they were a hopeless waste of money. They were fine if I was just walking around the shooting club adopting a neutral facial position as when the fit was taken but when moving my face when mounting the shotgun facial muscles moved making my ear cavity move a little breaking the seal.

Yeah, I can see how that's a huge issue. Just out of curiosity, was that particular audiologist advised of the intended use case and just didn't account for it?

I assume one doesn't smile or yawn when listening with CIEM :relaxed:

Oh I smile all the time with customs. How could I not? :smile: Yawning will break the seal for sure, but again that's generally okay, as I know it's not for a very long duration.

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:19 AM Post #7 of 11
From my personal experience, this is largely dependent on how the initial impressions were made. My best fitting/conforming customs were made with bite blocks in their short orientation. That accounts for small openings of my mouth covering normal human behavior. For working vocalists and musicians, I could see the tall orientation being preferred, as their use case involves singing, blowing into instruments, etc.

Yeah, I can see how that's a huge issue. Just out of curiosity, was that particular audiologist advised of the intended use case and just didn't account for it?

Thanks Warren, sounds like the same considerations apply but can be mitigated if fitted intelligently.

My hearing protection were fitted by the dealers who knew the use case but I can only assume they didn't normally encounter that problem. I never did follow up to see what others do or if there were other fitting options, I went back to my disposable orange 3M 1100 foams shoved in deep and they work better than any other more fancy plugs that I tried and as well as ear muffs but far better in hot summer sun.

I have been curious about CIEM fit every time I see them mentioned so took the opportunity when I saw your comments, thanks for the insight.

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:54 AM Post #8 of 11
My hearing protection were fitted by the dealers who knew the use case but I can only assume they didn't normally encounter that problem. I never did follow up to see what others do or if there were other fitting options, I went back to my disposable orange 3M 1100 foams shoved in deep and they work better than any other more fancy plugs that I tried and as well as ear muffs but far better in hot summer sun.

Yeah, that sucks, sorry it worked out badly for you.

That said, I should point out that it's standard practice for CIEM manufacturers to offer at least one complementary refit, with the only penalties being shipping and round-trip transit time. Some manufacturers will even do two or three complementary refits if necessary.

I have been curious about CIEM fit every time I see them mentioned so took the opportunity when I saw your comments, thanks for the insight.

You're welcome! I hope I've been of some help, even it's to confirm that customs are not for you. :smile:

Apr 18, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #11 of 11
Spinfit tips work best for me (and I have spent way too much evaluating others).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back