More turntable questions (long post)
May 15, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #16 of 22
I don't know what to tell you. I wouldn't use a turntable that was sitting in an attic for 20 some odd years without having it serviced, but at the same time if the DD 24 is still in good condition I think you would do better spending your money on a better cartridge than a new turntable. Where were you going to buy a turntable from anyway? Maybe there is some place...not so close that you could call ahead and get to or maybe you could even ship your turntable somewhere for service.

Also, I am not trying to question you, but there may be somewhere not too far away that could help you that you don't even know about. Sometimes specialty stores are under the radar so to speak. We have one near me that has a nearly invisible storefront, and is only open 2 days a week and *by appointment*. You could try going to the websites of a few of the turntable/cartridge brands you were thinking of and finding out where their nearest dealer is to you. For Dynavector you need to call their US Distributor USA
TOFFCO
4600 McPherson AV
St. Louis, MO 63108-1917
USA
TEL: 314 454 9966

Jill

May 15, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #17 of 22
There's only one thing that's really wrong with the turntable. For whatever reason, when the record is spinning, sometimes it will make physical contact with the body of the cartridge. When this happens, I have to adjust the tonearm height, but if it moves too high, the record will start skipping. I'm not sure if this problem is with the cartridge or the tonearm. When I first set up the turntable, it was fine, but after a few records, the problem started occurring.

May 16, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd
Mr Radar...

Sure thing! I might not be able to attend (especially if I don't get my driver's license this fall) but I'll try!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch
There's only one thing that's really wrong with the turntable. For whatever reason, when the record is spinning, sometimes it will make physical contact with the body of the cartridge. When this happens, I have to adjust the tonearm height, but if it moves too high, the record will start skipping. I'm not sure if this problem is with the cartridge or the tonearm. When I first set up the turntable, it was fine, but after a few records, the problem started occurring.

You should read up on turntable setup and get a stylus force guage (like the $20 Shure one that Todd sells) and alignment protractor (like the $20 mirrored one that you can get at www.turntablebasics.com). If the TT has been in storage without use for a while you'll probably also need to replace the stylus or cartridge (even if the cartridge was unused when it went into storage, the suspension could dry up causing mistracking, which damages records).

May 16, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #19 of 22
I'm aware that it would be a very good idea to replace the cartridge. But honestly, I'd rather just get a whole new turntable for peace of mind. And that's what I intend to do. I just need to accumulate the money to do so, which is hard when you're an unemployed college student. But nonetheless, I'm very excited. When I was home a few weekends ago, I played my dad's copy of Jimi Hendrix's "Electric Ladyland." Despite the fact that the album is nearly 40 years old, it sounded absolutely amazing (to me, at least).

Jun 8, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #21 of 22
HI Guys,

I have to highly recommend that you consider getting the MMF5 or the Moonbeam. These two turntables are very good and though they cost a bit more than some of the other introductory turntables, they perform much better and will last a lot longer. They willl absolutely sound better than a direct drive turntable. This I can guarantee! The Goldring turntable is a good table but I fear it is not built to last as long as the MMF5 or Moonbeam. Please consider this. If all you can afford is a Goldring, give me a call - I have a demo that I will part with for a very good price.

Todd

Jun 23, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #22 of 22
This is Todd's forum and as such I'm sure he gets the last word.
At any rate, to the guy with the DD Micro-Seiki-from what I can find about it - if you are going to throw it out and buy a new belt drive TT please send the old one to me. The set up of a TT and tonearm is an art and with a little patience and a new but not necessarily expensive cartriidge you would have a very nice play back device.
Maybe its just me but the thing I enjoy most about Head-Fi is the desire to share knowledge about cost effective components that provide high quality sound. Used and found equipment that then allows you to spend your limited budget on records or CD's has a positive value that shouldn't be overlooked. I want to encourage you to learn about vinyl and take the money you would have spent on a new player and put it into a record cleaning machine or cartridge or more LPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back