Moondrop Kato and a new guy.
Nov 18, 2023 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

firesgt911

Head-Fier
***Disclaimer: This is not a review, but rather a revelation from a newbie around here.***

I just received the Kato and must say it blows my Fidelio X2HR out of the water!

I did not come to this forum to research IEM's, but rather I came searching for a better way to listen to my vinyl collection through headphones. I am super basic compared to some of the folks around here. I probably listen to Spotify 90% of the time and usually through my phone, computer, truck, etc. I do not have any DAC's, DAP's or amps. I really enjoy my X2HR, but somehow succumbed to the rabbit hole that is this forum. I was on the verge of buying a Schiit stack with DAC, amp, phono preamp and EQ and a Drop/Sennheiser HD6xx. I had been averse to earbuds because Apple products hurt my ears, but on a whim started reading through the thousands of pages of posts here on IEM's. I thought to myself that I would give these a try while I continue to research over ear options and equipment. Holy cow! The Kato is so good! I plugged them in and played Kind of Blue by Mile's Davis and the distortion I usually hear when he hits higher notes is gone. Everything sounds so smooth and even. What's more is that I find these immensely more comfortable than the pillowy X2HR, which blew my mind. I attribute this to the fact that I wear glasses though.

Anyways, I am a happy camper. I have since ordered a Moondrop Dawn Pro and a Moondrop type T cable with 4.4 balanced jack to see if there is any improvement with more power.

Moral of this post is that my wife is going to come to hate you guys as I already have a lot of expensive hobbies and she will not want to hear that I am falling into another.

Nov 18, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 7
I've got a Kato too. The improved sound with balanced I noticed with them was the lower noise floor with the grounding they have. Also more current means staying in low or medium gain longer for better quality just from that.
I just had the Blessing 3 and wouldn't trade them for the Kato. The Simgot EA500 is the only one I like as much or more. For vocals, the Truthear Zero Blue edition is really great too. Any IEMs I've had over $90 seemed like a horrible value for money.

Nov 18, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #3 of 7
I am super basic compared to some of the folks around here. I probably listen to Spotify 90% of the time and usually through my phone, computer, truck, etc. I do not have any DAC's, DAP's or amps.

Welcome to Head-Fi! :smiley: Sorry about your wallet. :cry: And there are no levels here. As long as you're having fun, and willing to share your experiences with the rest of us, you'll always be welcome here! :handshake:🥳

Nov 20, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 7
I just wanted to share a little update. I received the Moondrop Dawn Pro and the balanced 4.4 cable today. I will not try to make this a review, but wow! The difference is shocking. I started out with the OEM cable into the 3.5 jack on my laptop. I put on Rise by Herb Alpert. Sounded really good. I then listened to the song again with the OEM cable into the Dawn Pro. Meh, it was louder and had a slight hiss. I instantly thought that I had wasted money, despite it being really cheap. Then I connected to the very inexpensive Moondrop type T balanced 4.4 cable. Within 3 seconds I understood the terminology that is thrown around the forums. The instruments were more crisp than I had heard before, and had been spread apart somehow. Perhaps this is my first ever experience with soundstage? The claps, oh the claps were so clean and clear that I started tapping my toes and bobbing my head. I cannot believe the difference!

Oh man, am I in trouble. I am now looking at Campfire Audio and DAP's. Good thing mama is spending a lot this week for Black Friday. I will slide something in under the radar. LOL

Nov 20, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #6 of 7
🤣
And so it begins...

If you can wait, I would highly suggest not rushing into things, and then going to CanJam New York next March. You'll be able to hear a ton of stuff without having to buy any of it, and then only buy that which truly knocks your socks off (usually at a discount because of show specials). :slight_smile:

Nov 20, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 7
🤣
And so it begins...

If you can wait, I would highly suggest not rushing into things, and then going to CanJam New York next March. You'll be able to hear a ton of stuff without having to buy any of it, and then only buy that which truly knocks your socks off (usually at a discount because of show specials). :slight_smile:
Great plan. I’m not sure I have that kind of will power, but I will try!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back