Moon 430 ha or Niimbus amp?
Jun 6, 2021 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mitchb

1000+ Head-Fier
Which of these amps would be best for my Audeze LCD4 headphones? I currently am using the Moon 430 ha and it’s nice but I am considering the Niimbus as an upgrade. Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated. The Niimbus is costly but is it worth the money over the Moon 430 ha?

Jun 6, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 9
I've not heard the Nimbus personally, so that may indeed be an excellent step up. You could also consider the Moon 600iv2 (used,) as supposedly it is an upgrade over the 430 in all areas, for hard to drive cans like the LCD4, Susvara etc...

Jun 7, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #3 of 9
I demoed the 430had a couple of times a few years ago.
i bought the us4 last year

As a broad statement and as i recall it (as i have never lived with the 430had) the niimbus better does what the moon tries to do. The moon has it’s critics in a few reviews - the niimbus overcomes these flaws that some reviewers express about the moon amp

that is all imho

but they are not the same amp of course. And if you enjoy the moon and are considering the niimbus then i would strongly recommend trying the niimbus if you can

but it’s not cheap so I can’t say you will definitely prefer it even though i do

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 9
I have decided to give the Niimbus 5 pro a try but in honesty the Moon 430 ha is a very nice amp. The Moon is better than my Taurus Mk2 which is also a nice amp. The Niimbus should be a nice upgrade over the Moon. I got the Niimbus 5 pro to be delivered when available for $5000 US. Is this a good deal? They are listed for $6400 US.

Aug 1, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #5 of 9
I am expecting my Niimbus US 5 pro in about a week. It should be nice. I am enjoying my Moon 430 ha now but hope the Niimbus will be a nice upgrade. The Moon is a good sounding amp but so is my Auralic Taurus Mk2 amp.

Oct 13, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 9
I am expecting my Niimbus US 5 pro in about a week. It should be nice. I am enjoying my Moon 430 ha now but hope the Niimbus will be a nice upgrade. The Moon is a good sounding amp but so is my Auralic Taurus Mk2 amp.
Did it arrive? Comparisons (to both the 430 and Taurus) ?

Oct 13, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #7 of 9
Did it arrive? Comparisons (to both the 430 and Taurus) ?
The Niimbus has the speed of the Taurus and the finesse of the Moon without being shouty like the Taurus or bland like the Moon can sound. The Niimbus is gorgeous but cost more than both the Taurus and Moon together. The Niimbus is in another league. With my Abyss TC’s I am losing sleep for music. All that said all 3 amps are nice.

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #8 of 9
The Niimbus has the speed of the Taurus and the finesse of the Moon without being shouty like the Taurus or bland like the Moon can sound. The Niimbus is gorgeous but cost more than both the Taurus and Moon together. The Niimbus is in another league. With my Abyss TC’s I am losing sleep for music. All that said all 3 amps are nice.
Would you agree:

“the niimbus better does what the moon tries to do.”?

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #9 of 9
Actually I would not agree. Each amp does what they do. I think the Moon is a good amp for many headphones where the Niimbus is good with any headphones. The Moon is powerful yet very mellow sometimes overly so. The Niimbus is more neutral but also very powerful. To be honest I preferred the Taurus Mk2 over the Moon. The Taurus Mk2 was more exciting. The Niimbus is just a better sounding amp than either the other two. I don’t think I will ever need or want another amp after the Niimbus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back