Liquid Platinum Tube Rollers.
Jan 30, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #16 of 1,803
I have a pair of JAN GE 5670 tubes that I liked the sound of in my LOXJIE P20 amp and I am going to try them in my LP with an adaptor. I hope to get the clarity of the LP with the smoothness of the 5670 tubes. However, I am quite new to this whole tube rolling thing.
There are far far better options in the 5670 family. The most expensive is usually the Western Electric 396A. Cheaper alternatives are the Tung Sol 2C51, Foton 6N3P, best ones are the 50's triple mica, extremely rare. The double mica 50's Foton just as rare. For the GE 5670 sound signature, the CBS 5670. I like them way better than the GE 5670. You can do real good price/performance in the 5670.

Jan 30, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #17 of 1,803
I have to mention this:

If you do decide to roll different tubes with adapters you'll most likely be purchasing socket savers. Because of the very tight space left between the sides of the hole and the socket saver; you'll find that it's *very* hard to get those adapters out in case one happens to fail. The holes themselves are smaller then that of the Mjolnir 2 and because the sockets are fairly new you'll find that they have a death grip on those socket savers. As a suggestion (and maybe others can suggest a better solution) someone in the Lyr Tube rolling thread mentioned to tie floss around the base of the socket saver and when you're ready to replace them you can pull it up and out.

Not that I've recently experienced any of these issues with this amp. *Cough* *Cough*

Jan 30, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #18 of 1,803
I have to mention this:

If you do decide to roll different tubes with adapters you'll most likely be purchasing socket savers. Because of the very tight space left between the sides of the hole and the socket saver; you'll find that it's *very* hard to get those adapters out in case one happens to fail. The holes themselves are smaller then that of the Mjolnir 2 and because the sockets are fairly new you'll find that they have a death grip on those socket savers. As a suggestion (and maybe others can suggest a better solution) someone in the Lyr Tube rolling thread mentioned to tie floss around the base of the socket saver and when you're ready to replace them you can pull it up and out.

Not that I've recently experienced any of these issues with this amp. *Cough* *Cough*
This is why i am sticking with, the 6922's and nothing else, with this amp.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #19 of 1,803
I have to mention this:

Are the adapters hard to get out of the socket savers, I use a chopstick to take em out the MJ2. Do the adapters clear the top of the amp?

Jan 30, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #20 of 1,803
Are the adapters hard to get out of the socket savers, I use a chopstick to take em out the MJ2. Do the adapters clear the top of the amp?

You have about 2 millimeters sticking out from the top and there's no clearance on the sides to put in chopsticks. I'd say that you'd want to invest in some needle nose pliers and take them out by slowly wiggling them back and forth. Socket savers are not supposed to be extracted this way so expect to break them in the process or maybe I just need to lay off the juice.

Just for everyone else piece of mind; as long as the socket savers work you can probably roll for years on end without any issues. If they stop working then prepare to do impacted wisdom tooth removal surgery.

Jan 30, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #21 of 1,803
You have about 2 millimeters sticking out from the top and there's no clearance on the sides to put in chopsticks. I'd say that you'd want to invest in some needle nose pliers and take them out by slowly wiggling them back and forth. Socket savers are not supposed to be extracted this way so expect to break them in the process or maybe I just need to lay off the juice.

Just for everyone else piece of mind; as long as the socket savers work you can probably roll for years on end without any issues. If they stop working then prepare to do impacted wisdom tooth removal surgery.
Was talking about the adapters, 5670, 12A*7 adapters. Are those fairly easy to take out while using socket savers?

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #22 of 1,803
Was talking about the adapters, 5670, 12A*7 adapters. Are those fairly easy to take out while using socket savers?

I don't want to underestimate the clearance on the sides and lie but it feels like it's still going to be a bit of chopstick gymnastics. Once you add the thickness of the chopsticks and how small the tube holes are you may run into issues just grabbing the adapter. Then toss in how much of a grip the sockets have on the sockets savers....

I should of taken a picture from the top of the amp before I removed them.

Back to tube rolling. If you guys haven't tried a pair of Tungsram PCC88s you should give them a try. Great punchy mid bass, extended highs, touch of euphony and counteracts the warmer aspect of the tube amp. They're also found for a reasonable price for NOS and I prefer them over Gold Lions/JJs.

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #23 of 1,803
I don't want to underestimate the clearance on the sides and lie but it feels like it's still going to be a bit of chopstick gymnastics. Once you add the thickness of the chopsticks and how small the tube holes are you may run into issues just grabbing the adapter. Then toss in how much of a grip the sockets have on the sockets savers....

I should of taken a picture from the top of the amp before I removed them.

Back to tube rolling. If you guys haven't tried a pair of Tungsram PCC88s you should give them a try. Great punchy mid bass, extended highs, touch of euphony and counteracts the warmer aspect of the tube amp. They're also found for a reasonable price for NOS and I prefer them over Gold Lions/JJs.
Think it would be possible to stack 2 tubemonger socket savers in each socket?

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #24 of 1,803
Think it would be possible to stack 2 tubemonger socket savers in each socket?

Lol, yeah that’s possible. It’s going to look like a mad scientist experiment once you have two socket savers and any adapter+tube added on top.

Pls post pics when LPTron is fully assembled.

Jan 31, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #26 of 1,803
Amp should be here tomorrow, going to see if the 6CC41 Tesla produces any noise, most probably yes with high amplification factor. No adapter needed. Think I am going to put in a 1958 pair of D getter Heerlen 6922 without any SS for 100 hrs. As advised in PM. Though I can't promise 100%.

Jan 31, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #27 of 1,803
Amp should be here tomorrow, going to see if the 6CC41 Tesla produces any noise, most probably yes with high amplification factor. No adapter needed. Think I am going to put in a 1958 pair of D getter Heerlen 6922 without any SS for 100 hrs. As advised in PM. Though I can't promise 100%.
I bet those Heerlen D getters, are gonna be amazing! I have never heard them in person, but everything i have read about them, makes me think they are gonna be 1 of the best, with the LP's sound sig. What headphones, are you using?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #28 of 1,803
I bet those Heerlen D getters, are gonna be amazing! I have never heard them in person, but everything i have read about them, makes me think they are gonna be 1 of the best, with the LP's sound sig. What headphones, are you using?
LCD-C, could never get these cans sounding right with the MJ2. They are a bad pairing. The Heerlen D getters sits between the PW tubes and the 60's house Heerlen sound signature. Sound like neither. They got a perfect blend of lows, mids and highs. Highly detailed, and warm at the same time. Have not heard them in a while. This is going from memory.

Jan 31, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #29 of 1,803
LCD-C, could never get these cans sounding right with the MJ2. They are a bad pairing. The Heerlen D getters sits between the PW tubes and the 60's house Heerlen sound signature. Sound like neither. They got a perfect blend of lows, mids and highs. Highly detailed, and warm at the same time. Have not heard them in a while. This is going from memory.
I hope the LP makes those Audeze sing for you! It makes my Ori sound freakin amazing. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back