Monolith M1570C (and M1070C) - Closed Back Planar Headphones
Oct 13, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #196 of 207
Did he share the measurements?
He didn't, but I didn't ask. He was at CanJam LA recently, so that may have slowed things don't slightly, but I'll ask for another progress update and see if he's willing to share anything

Oct 16, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #197 of 207
Happy Monday! Oratory has delivered!

Interestingly, while on the Open version the leather pads could be tuned to align almost perfectly with the diffuse-field curve and the velours were more finicky, on the Closed version, it's the other way around. But it's in splitting-hairs territory anyway.

M1570C velour:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/m7ie...pads.pdf?rlkey=x54bofa5ye4sf6law4wmwulq2&dl=0

M1570C leather:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/9bv0...pads.pdf?rlkey=y2vkalvjsqzer1ukgh5611uxp&dl=0

And here's some bonus measurements he threw in:

M1570-Closed with all earpads:
https://imgur.com/l0iY9al

M1570-Open with all earpads:
https://imgur.com/3SdR0QK

M1570 Open vs Closed - velour:
https://imgur.com/MRZ8UY0

M1570 Open vs Closed - leather:
https://imgur.com/OfUEK71

M1570C velour compared to diffuse-field curve:
https://imgur.com/o5HBl5D

We may now EQ our M1570C's to our hearts' content. :L3000:

Also, just for the sake of saying, it cost me $80 to ship my M1570C to him and I'll have to reimburse him probably another $80 to ship it back to me soon. If there are any particularly generous community members here that would like to donate a small amount to ease the burden of volunteering my headphone, Paypal donations to pianofilesfml@gmail.com will be extremely appreciated, lol. I've already received $40, and that did indeed help greatly.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #198 of 207
Happy Monday! Oratory has delivered!

Interestingly, while on the Open version the leather pads could be tuned to align almost perfectly with the diffuse-field curve and the velours were more finicky, on the Closed version, it's the other way around. But it's in splitting-hairs territory anyway.

M1570C velour:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/m7ie...pads.pdf?rlkey=x54bofa5ye4sf6law4wmwulq2&dl=0

M1570C open:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/9bv0...pads.pdf?rlkey=y2vkalvjsqzer1ukgh5611uxp&dl=0

And here's some bonus measurements he threw in:

M1570-Closed with all earpads:
https://imgur.com/l0iY9al

M1570-Open with all earpads:
https://imgur.com/3SdR0QK

M1570 Open vs Closed - velour:
https://imgur.com/MRZ8UY0

M1570 Open vs Closed - leather:
https://imgur.com/OfUEK71

M1570C velour compared to diffuse-field curve:
https://imgur.com/o5HBl5D

We may now EQ our M1570C's to our hearts' content. :L3000:

Also, just for the sake of saying, it cost me $80 to ship my M1570C to him and I'll have to reimburse him probably another $80 to ship it back to me soon. If there are any particularly generous community members here that would like to donate a small amount to ease the burden of volunteering my headphone, Paypal donations to pianofilesfml@gmail.com will be extremely appreciated, lol. I've already received $40, and that did indeed help greatly.
Woot! I can't wait to test this out later today!

Oct 28, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #199 of 207
Finally had a chance to a/b test and play around with the m1570c EQ. What a great improvement! I'm especially happy to be able to use the velour pads without any wonkiness. They sound really great for closed back cans. What a steal for $420!

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #200 of 207
Glad to hear it! Mine should be arriving back from Oratory's lab any day now and I look forward to hearing the difference. I like the idea of the having the Open equipped with the leathers and the Closed equipped with the velours. Makes it just a little less redundant for me to have both, lol

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #201 of 207
I am loving my M1060s, especially paired with the EF400 and Cayin's RU6 and RU7 dongles. Really tempted to pull the trigger on the 1070c as I wouldn't mind a closed back planar option.

Can anyone provide a comparison between the 1070c v Sundara closed back?

Nov 10, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #202 of 207
I got my M1570C back from Oratory yesterday and took it for a test spin tonight with the new EQ. I don't know if it's just because I was listening to my 1970s-era AKG Sextett on tubes last night, but hoo-boy, this thing is clean as a whistle. And yeah, like the M1570-Open, the EQ is so transformative as to be pretty necessary, at least for my enjoyment. That said, once it's on, it's on. The velours are nice and comfy, I appreciate the isolation the Closed version offers over the Open, as well. Squeaky clean like Hifimans do, but still musical in a way that Hifimans don't.

Should be said, too, both the Open and Closed versions sound absolutely tremendous on the Schiit Jotunheim. Incredible amp. I still have to take the time to really get to know my Liquid Gold better, because that's ostensibly another exquisite amp, but that would require disconnecting my Jot, and every time I think about disconnecting my Jot, I just have to laugh and go "lol No."

After a couple years of experimenting with a lot of different headphones and amps, I really feel like my loadout is starting to solidify and I'm settling into a couple core synergies and never feeling the urge to move outside of them. The introduction of my Jotunheim to my collection was a big part of that, and so were these M1570 variants. When I'm in the mood for something that I know these do well, it's hard to find a reason to pick a different headphone.

Jan 20, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #203 of 207
I got my M1570C back from Oratory yesterday and took it for a test spin tonight with the new EQ. I don't know if it's just because I was listening to my 1970s-era AKG Sextett on tubes last night, but hoo-boy, this thing is clean as a whistle. And yeah, like the M1570-Open, the EQ is so transformative as to be pretty necessary, at least for my enjoyment. That said, once it's on, it's on. The velours are nice and comfy, I appreciate the isolation the Closed version offers over the Open, as well. Squeaky clean like Hifimans do, but still musical in a way that Hifimans don't.

Should be said, too, both the Open and Closed versions sound absolutely tremendous on the Schiit Jotunheim. Incredible amp. I still have to take the time to really get to know my Liquid Gold better, because that's ostensibly another exquisite amp, but that would require disconnecting my Jot, and every time I think about disconnecting my Jot, I just have to laugh and go "lol No."

After a couple years of experimenting with a lot of different headphones and amps, I really feel like my loadout is starting to solidify and I'm settling into a couple core synergies and never feeling the urge to move outside of them. The introduction of my Jotunheim to my collection was a big part of that, and so were these M1570 variants. When I'm in the mood for something that I know these do well, it's hard to find a reason to pick a different headphone.
Do you still use your M1570C? I've seen that you also own the M1570, how are they in terms of passive noise cancellation / noise leakage? I'm definitely looking for a closed back to keep some sounds away as my current environment can get a bit noisy.

Jan 21, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #204 of 207
Do you still use your M1570C? I've seen that you also own the M1570, how are they in terms of passive noise cancellation / noise leakage? I'm definitely looking for a closed back to keep some sounds away as my current environment can get a bit noisy.
I'd say I split my listening time between the two by about 60/40. The first big difference between the Open and Closed for me is that the Open's bass can be pushed to some pretty ludicrous levels in EQ, so when I'm in the mood for a stinky bass riot, I tend to go for the Open. Meanwhile, the Closed's bass can't be boosted to absurd levels like the Open's, but a tasteful amount of bass boost is totally achievable. That might be down to the fact that I use the leather pads on the Open and the velour on the Closed, but that's the configuration in which the two headphones can be tuned to their best. The bass on the Closed is a great example of that tasteful, well-extended, precise planar bass, and it'll take a little bit of boost, but that's about all. Meanwhile, the Open can also do the tasteful precise planar bass thing, but it'll also take a +15db bass shelf like a champ if you want. It can't quite go to ludicrous bass amounts like dedicated bass cannon headphones, but it's definitely close, while still having great characteristics throughout the rest of the frequency spectrum which dedicated bass cannons usually falter at. This is why I tend to pair the Open with the Schiit Jotumheim amp, because between the Open's bass ability and the Jot2's added bite and energy make for a killer unrestrained high-energy rock and roll audio chain. The Closed, on the other hand, I find pairs better with the Liquid Gold amp, which, the Open+Jot2 vs Closed+Gold chains sound much more similar than they sound different for sure, but there's just a touch of smoothness and mellowness on the Gold that I feel complements the Closed very well.

The other key difference for me between the Open and Closed is... well, one's open and the other's closed. The Open is every bit as private as listening to speakers. Just zero isolation. All of the internal sound leaks out and all of the external sound leaks in. So if isolation is a priority, I can't discourage you enough from getting the Open. It is easily the most transparent headphone I've ever heard. It's honestly remarkable how little isolation happens here. If it wasn't so heavy, it'd just disappear on my head, after long enough I'd forget I was wearing it because it's like there's nothing in between my ears and the outside world.

In terms of isolation, I haven't compared the Closed against any other headphone than the Open, but the result of that comparison is that the Closed does offer some isolation where the Open offers absolutely none. If I had to guess, I'd say the isolation on the Closed is average for a closed-back. Again, I haven't done any measurements or in-depth comparisons against a variety of headphones or anything, but when I choose the Closed, one of my expectations is a degree of isolation, and that's what I get when I listen to it. So I can't say if its isolation characteristics are remarkable one way or the other, I can only say that it does provide some isolation like you'd expect of a closed-back. And considering I have experienced closed-backs that do have noticeably poor isolation and other closed-backs that do have noticeably excellent isolation, and also considering nothing about the Closed's isolation characteristics stood out to me as being particularly good or bad in any way, I have to say it's probably average. Which, hey, maybe that's enough for you.

At the end of the day, I got very lucky with some sales timings, so for what I paid for both my Open and Closed, they're juuuuuuust different enough that I'm happy to keep both in my collection. But if you can have or want only one and isolation is even slightly a priority, go Closed, because the Open is a great headphone in a lot of ways, but holy cow isolation is not one of them.

Hope that helps!

Jan 22, 2024 at 11:19 PM Post #205 of 207
I'd say I split my listening time between the two by about 60/40. The first big difference between the Open and Closed for me is that the Open's bass can be pushed to some pretty ludicrous levels in EQ, so when I'm in the mood for a stinky bass riot, I tend to go for the Open. Meanwhile, the Closed's bass can't be boosted to absurd levels like the Open's, but a tasteful amount of bass boost is totally achievable. That might be down to the fact that I use the leather pads on the Open and the velour on the Closed, but that's the configuration in which the two headphones can be tuned to their best. The bass on the Closed is a great example of that tasteful, well-extended, precise planar bass, and it'll take a little bit of boost, but that's about all. Meanwhile, the Open can also do the tasteful precise planar bass thing, but it'll also take a +15db bass shelf like a champ if you want. It can't quite go to ludicrous bass amounts like dedicated bass cannon headphones, but it's definitely close, while still having great characteristics throughout the rest of the frequency spectrum which dedicated bass cannons usually falter at. This is why I tend to pair the Open with the Schiit Jotumheim amp, because between the Open's bass ability and the Jot2's added bite and energy make for a killer unrestrained high-energy rock and roll audio chain. The Closed, on the other hand, I find pairs better with the Liquid Gold amp, which, the Open+Jot2 vs Closed+Gold chains sound much more similar than they sound different for sure, but there's just a touch of smoothness and mellowness on the Gold that I feel complements the Closed very well.

The other key difference for me between the Open and Closed is... well, one's open and the other's closed. The Open is every bit as private as listening to speakers. Just zero isolation. All of the internal sound leaks out and all of the external sound leaks in. So if isolation is a priority, I can't discourage you enough from getting the Open. It is easily the most transparent headphone I've ever heard. It's honestly remarkable how little isolation happens here. If it wasn't so heavy, it'd just disappear on my head, after long enough I'd forget I was wearing it because it's like there's nothing in between my ears and the outside world.

In terms of isolation, I haven't compared the Closed against any other headphone than the Open, but the result of that comparison is that the Closed does offer some isolation where the Open offers absolutely none. If I had to guess, I'd say the isolation on the Closed is average for a closed-back. Again, I haven't done any measurements or in-depth comparisons against a variety of headphones or anything, but when I choose the Closed, one of my expectations is a degree of isolation, and that's what I get when I listen to it. So I can't say if its isolation characteristics are remarkable one way or the other, I can only say that it does provide some isolation like you'd expect of a closed-back. And considering I have experienced closed-backs that do have noticeably poor isolation and other closed-backs that do have noticeably excellent isolation, and also considering nothing about the Closed's isolation characteristics stood out to me as being particularly good or bad in any way, I have to say it's probably average. Which, hey, maybe that's enough for you.

At the end of the day, I got very lucky with some sales timings, so for what I paid for both my Open and Closed, they're juuuuuuust different enough that I'm happy to keep both in my collection. But if you can have or want only one and isolation is even slightly a priority, go Closed, because the Open is a great headphone in a lot of ways, but holy cow isolation is not one of them.

Hope that helps!
You'd think the closed would be able to deliver more bass haha. I do have the open and I have applied oratory's EQ with the lambskins, haven't gone past +10db on the bass though as I feel that's more than enough for me at least for now. They seem to play fine with my Zen stack. I'm quite happy considering I got the open for an absolute steal, I could get the closed for $300 new and both would still cost a lot less than the retail price of just one M1570. Anyways, this insightful and definitely helped. Thanks.

Feb 4, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #206 of 207
Just got the M1570's brother. Had to grab it before it most likely ends up being disconnected :)

Attachments

• 20240204_114342.jpg
    20240204_114342.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Mar 1, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #207 of 207
I was just thinking, what if you drill a bass port into the cups? Was thinking of grabbing a pair used since I do lack a planar with me and want that big planar sound! I don't seem to see any ports on the cups which would be counter intuitive since (what I'm assuming) planars do need a good amount of air to have a higher excursion. But this is me assuming, let me know what y'all think!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back