Monolith by Monoprice Tube Headphone Amplifier with ESS Sabre DAC (29511)
Aug 27, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #121 of 133
So... after rolling tubes in this amp for a while I think I have finally found the best sq for me (at least within my budget).
I have a pair of 1960 Foton 6N3P drivers and an old ass Sylvania Gold Brand 6080. The Foton's are a bit forward in the mids especially and GB Sylvania is crispy on top with great low end. This combination, with my Maverick DAC and NAD cd player is so so good sounding that I think I'm just gonna take a couple months and enjoy! This amp has some power btw and my DT990 600ohm are not lacking.

Oct 31, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #122 of 133
Quick update to keep this thread alive. This amp has some serious potential. I still have the 1960 6N3P Fotons installed because there is just something about them that keeps me interested and listening. I've gone back and forth with the GB Sylvania, Raytheon and the CEI 6080, all are great sounding and musical.
The humming issues have subsided and I believe the driver tubes had more to do with that than the power tube. So for $199 shipped I have a full on headphone amp that has many options for tube rolling and sounds fantastic! I wonder how this would match up against a BH Crack?

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #123 of 133
This is my go-to amp now and I'm enjoying my time with it. Keces DAC and the NAD cd player pair really well with it and the Raytheon 6080 and Fotons are a delight! Usually listen with my Beyer DT990 or Superlux HD672.
Impressed!

Dec 15, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #124 of 133
I've been satisfied with the current set up for awhile now. I run GE 5670Ws for the driver stage and went back to the stock power tube for the "Oomph" it had. I usually listen through some Senn/Drop 6XXs but my Wife got me a set of Hifiman HE400SEs for my birthday and holy smokes, these cans LOVE this amp. Since its a transformer coupled amp with multiple taps, you don't need high impedance headphones to get the best out of it. The 25Ohm HE400SEs positively sing with this amp. The highs are possibly a little tipped up but they are nowhere near harsh, grating, or piercing. Bonus, there is ZERO hum or noise with this setup. The source is a Raspberry Pi3 with an Allo Boss dac on top running Volumio and I have been tearing through my libraries late into the night with this combo.

I'm currently looking to get a Pi4 and just go usb into the amp so I can free up the Boss player for another room. I hook my laptop up to the included dac on occasion and it sounds just fine still.

So if you have this amp(sadly, it looks like Monoprice have abandoned it, it hasn't shown up on the site the last few times i visited)I urge you to try some planars on it. You might just love what you hear.

Dec 15, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #125 of 133
I've been satisfied with the current set up for awhile now. I run GE 5670Ws for the driver stage and went back to the stock power tube for the "Oomph" it had. I usually listen through some Senn/Drop 6XXs but my Wife got me a set of Hifiman HE400SEs for my birthday and holy smokes, these cans LOVE this amp. Since its a transformer coupled amp with multiple taps, you don't need high impedance headphones to get the best out of it. The 25Ohm HE400SEs positively sing with this amp. The highs are possibly a little tipped up but they are nowhere near harsh, grating, or piercing. Bonus, there is ZERO hum or noise with this setup. The source is a Raspberry Pi3 with an Allo Boss dac on top running Volumio and I have been tearing through my libraries late into the night with this combo.

I'm currently looking to get a Pi4 and just go usb into the amp so I can free up the Boss player for another room. I hook my laptop up to the included dac on occasion and it sounds just fine still.

So if you have this amp(sadly, it looks like Monoprice have abandoned it, it hasn't shown up on the site the last few times i visited)I urge you to try some planars on it. You might just love what you hear.
I have the HE400i on another system but will have to try them on this setup based on your comments. I also have the stock tube but seriously have never even listened to it. The Sylvania GB and Raytheon 6080's all sound excellent in this amp and I still have a pair of 1960's Fotons installed as drivers which I never thought would happen by the way. I read about some vintage 6N3P triple mica Fotons that were a bit expensive but supposedly sounded exquisite so I went looking for them. What I found was a 1960's double mica Foton for super cheap. I thought I'd listen for an few minutes and retire them to the back of the tube drawer but its been months and they are still in there!
Great amp that you can use to strength train with when not listening. Heavy!

Nov 30, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #126 of 133
I bought one of the amps later than most of members that have posted. This was to be was my first tube amp. My introduction to a world of perfect sound. I was like a kid on Christmas morning. When it was delivered my wife told me my Red Ryder bb gun had arrived! I was in a state of pure bliss. IN a few hours I would be immersed in the warm faultless world of tube amplification.

Then to my shock & horror everything changed in a flash. I realized that someone had carelessly grabbed a returned box with an amp that was beyond repair. I went though all the emotions of grief and morned my loss. Nevertheless this was not going to stop me from trying to rectify the problem. All the parts and paperwork had been stuffed inside the metal box. Even the top grate had been screwed on tight for some odd reason. Inside the box was filled with broken tubes, misplaced screws and crumpled paperwork. I managed to clean everything out and vacuumed all the broken glass out. At this point I discovered that even the knobs and selectors had were loose. I was absolutely livid! I had to admit defeat. Whoever had carelessly sent my amp must have known it was beyond repair.

So now I called and called customer service until reached a real person (which is quite an accomplishment). They refused to give me an exchange. They told me I had to return the amp and waite for a refund. Then once I had the refund I could buy another amp (if any were left). I was so angry I decided to buy a sturdy and reliable Schiit stack instead. My friend who had talked me into a tube amp had better luck. His system was up and operating. When I listened to It the sound it was absolutely beautiful. My gear sounded an old AM alarm clock radio in comparison.

After this experience I was determined to to buy a tube powered system. I did not have the funds to buy another system in addition to the Schiit stack. By the time I gathered the funds to buy another one Monoprice had stopped selling the big metal Monolith system of 2001 fame. Now I have entered the convoluted world of looking for a used headphone system. For some reason it is more difficult to find a used amp than to get a clear picture of Bigfoot.

If any reader has an amp for sale or knows where I can find one please let me know. I do not care if it is a big metal box and I cannot see the tubes. In fact that is a signicant advantage for me. It protects the tubes from curious kids and our Great Dane's tail that my wife felt ìt cruel to bob. We all want different features in an amp or headphones. This amp seems perfect for me. If anyone ķnows where I can find one for sale please let me know.

Dec 1, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #128 of 133
Wow... sad story about your amp!
I buy most items through Amazon only because of the return policy. This is a really nice amp but it has its limits. I hate the fact it has an internal DAC but only does USB, why no optical or SPDIF? I like using a cd player as a transport and feeding an external DAC. It also can hum with some tubes. Once you find a good combo leave it alone and just enjoy.
If I see one for sale or ever decide to sell mine I'll reach out.

Dec 15, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #129 of 133
I will probably be listing my Monoprice tube headphone amp for sale soon in the Head-Fi classifieds. I purchased it new and have replaced the three coupling caps with film caps and the volume potentiometer with a full size carbon one. Using two Russian 6N3P-DR driver tubes and a Tung-Sol 6080, although I have many other 6080 and 6AS7 tubes. I have tried 2C51 and 5670 driver tubes, but I prefer the 6N3P-DR. I did contact Barondog who asked above to be notified if anyone had a Monoprice amp for sale, but he never got back to me. If anyone has an interest in this amp, please PM me. This is a very good amp and I had no problems with it. I just have three other headphone amps that use the 6080/6AS7 and I need to cut back on my inventory.

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #130 of 133
dpump ~ do you feel replacing the caps improved and\or changed the sound signature?
I use an old 1967 Raytheon 6080 and pair of 1960 Foton 6N3P drivers, sound is very good, this amp has some power and drives all my cans without issue.
I would really like to have the headphone jack replaced as it gives me some issues at times.

Dec 16, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #131 of 133
Does anyone know where I can find a 29511 Monoprice (Monolith or Monument) tube amp with the 9018 ess sabre dac? I have been looking for one for days with no luck. Any leads or desire to sell your own would be deeply appreciated.

Cordially,
Dudley
dcskaggs@bellsouth.net

I will probably be listing my Monoprice tube headphone amp for sale soon in the Head-Fi classifieds. I purchased it new and have replaced the three coupling caps with film caps and the volume potentiometer with a full size carbon one. Using two Russian 6N3P-DR driver tubes and a Tung-Sol 6080, although I have many other 6080 and 6AS7 tubes. I have tried 2C51 and 5670 driver tubes, but I prefer the 6N3P-DR. I did contact Barondog who asked above to be notified if anyone had a Monoprice amp for sale, but he never got back to me. If anyone has an interest in this amp, please PM me. This is a very good amp and I had no problems with it. I just have three other headphone amps that use the 6080/6AS7 and I need to cut back on my inventory.
Seems like you two would be a good match... perhaps he just missed the notification due to holiday travels or something? Good luck, have fun you two!

Jan 1, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #133 of 133
I received one of the 29511 amps and of course the tabes were sitting in the box with no protection a broken. I am just learning and this would have been my 1st tube amp. I like the fact that they were protected in the metal box. I am buying for the sound not a lights. But Monolith would not send replacement tubes. They told me I had to return the amp buy a new one. But they were out of stock. So if anyone knows anyone that is selling one please let me know. Now to show everyone how little I know. Can somebody please explain what tube rolling is and how it is done and what are the benefits? Thank you for your time. L

Users who are viewing this thread

Back