Monarch Mkii vs Mest Mkii
Feb 23, 2023 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Dan279

Head-Fier
Hi, I am torn between these two IEM’s and am hoping that anyone who has had experience with both could point me in the right direction.

My music library is primarily movie soundtracks.

I already have the Sennheiser IE900 and Audeze Euclid, both are great in different respects, but neither are endgame for movie soundtracks.

Any advice would be amazing! Thankyou!

Feb 24, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 7
Hi, I am torn between these two IEM’s and am hoping that anyone who has had experience with both could point me in the right direction.

My music library is primarily movie soundtracks.

I already have the Sennheiser IE900 and Audeze Euclid, both are great in different respects, but neither are endgame for movie soundtracks.

Any advice would be amazing! Thankyou!
Welcome to head-fi!
I have Monarch OG and MEST MKII, for movie soundtracks, I may use Monarch over MEST MKII.

MEST MKII is more toward some tracks that require extreme imaging and a feel of energy, while Monarch renders soundtracks more naturally and comfortably enjoyable. MEST
MKII is warmer and may overly coloring those low range too much.

By the way there is a question thread so you may throw a question over there that may get more attentions and possible feedbacks

https://www.head-fi.org/forums/introductions-help-and-recommendations.7840/

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #3 of 7
Welcome to head-fi!
I have Monarch OG and MEST MKII, for movie soundtracks, I may use Monarch over MEST MKII.

MEST MKII is more toward some tracks that require extreme imaging and a feel of energy, while Monarch renders soundtracks more naturally and comfortably enjoyable. MEST
MKII is warmer and may overly coloring those low range too much.

By the way there is a question thread so you may throw a question over there that may get more attentions and possible feedbacks

https://www.head-fi.org/forums/introductions-help-and-recommendations.7840/
Thankyou very much for the reply! I have to say, through more and more research, I do find myself leaning towards the Monarch. It is just so hard to buy confidently when you have no means of trying before you buy!

Thanks for the recommendation though - I’ll throw this onto that forum too!

Feb 25, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #6 of 7
IMO, the Monarch is closer to what you're looking for. Acoustic recordings like orchestral pieces benefit from following the diffuse field target, and the Monarch gets much closer to that than the MEST 2.
graph.png

I decided against the MEST looking for endgame because of the complete lack of pinna gain compensation. Our music library is likely pretty similar as I listen to mainly jazz & orchestral pieces, so I suspect you might have similar preferences.

Good hunting.

Feb 25, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 7
IMO, the Monarch is closer to what you're looking for. Acoustic recordings like orchestral pieces benefit from following the diffuse field target, and the Monarch gets much closer to that than the MEST 2.
graph.png

I decided against the MEST looking for endgame because of the complete lack of pinna gain compensation. Our music library is likely pretty similar as I listen to mainly jazz & orchestral pieces, so I suspect you might have similar preferences.

Good hunting.
Thankyou very much for your input! It does seem this is the way I am leaning. Now just have to wait for them to come back in stock in the UK! They seem to be in high demand everywhere at the moment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back