MOH vs MOHR. Much of a sonic difference?
May 21, 2002 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jaybar

100+ Head-Fier
I recently purchased the MOH, about 10 days ago. I could exchange it for the MOHR. Is there a marked sonic difference? There does not seem to be a lot of folks using the MOHR. I am using the Grado RS-1's.

To date, I am a rather infrequent headphone user. I anticipate about 50 times a year or so. Its mainly for very late night listening when it would disturb my partner who is watching TV. Historically, I have had a number of headphones/headphone amps and have sold them eventually because of low usage. Is the sonic difference GREAT enough to warrant doing it now or is it more pragmatic to wait and see how much I use it?

The rest of my system is:

amp/pre-amp-Spectral DMC 12/DMA90.
Linn TT-Ekos,Arkiv,Lingo, Linto
Linn Ikemi CDP and Linn Pekin Tuner
Sonus Faber Signums
MIT cable

My sonic expectations may be high, but my use patters will probably be rather low compared to most of you. Any thoughts?

Jay

May 21, 2002 at 12:39 AM Post #2 of 5
Having just heard these two at the Dallas HeadRoom show (more or less--I heard the Max and the Maxed Out Home), I can say that there definately IS a difference. The Maxed Out Home Reference should sound basically like a Max--that is, a BIT more detailed.

Looking at your equipment, I would guess that you should be able to hear these differences on your system. But if you're going to be listening only fifty or so times a year, I don't know if it would be worth it. Although I suppose it wouldn't cost that much to have it upgraded at this point. I guess if you are going to have any second thoughts later, you might as well do it now when it won't cost but $150, right?

Sounds like I haven't really been of any help, have I?

The differences are DEFINATELY worth it to ME, but I listen via headphones almost NIGHTLY!!
rolleyes.gif

May 21, 2002 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 5
Tyll suggested that if you were going to make one step up from the Maxed Out Home that the stepped attenuator would offer more of a sonic improvement than the upgrade from premium the reference module. Of course, both would be even better.

The differences dparrish heard between the Max and Maxed Out Home (premium) were partially incurred by the module upgrade but may also have been impacted by the power supply upgrade.

I don't think anyone who is not in the employ of Headroom has explicitly sat down to verify the differences between premium and reference modules keeping all other variables the same. Likewise, none of us have had opportunity to do that with just the stepped attenuator.

I hope to have a loaner Maxed Out Home at the next Dallas meet and compare it directly with dparrish's MOHR with Stepped Attenuator, but I won't have a way of seperating the two variables (unless he wants me to open up his max and take out the stepped attenuator of course.)
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2002 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 5
Kelly,

You are, of course, correct in this. . .I did make something of a "leap of faith" to make the statement about the Maxed Out Home Reference being better. To my knowledge we were not able to listen to this exact setup.

It IS possible that the differences I heard might have been due as much to the differences in power supplies. What I CAN tell you for certain is that the MAX sounded more detailed than the Maxed Out Home Premium (not reference). I ASSUMED that this difference would be due largely to the reference module.

In ordering my Maxed Out Home Reference with stepped attenuators yesterday (I received it this evening!) I did ask Todd his opinion on whether the power supply difference between the Maxed Out Home and the Max amounted to much. His opinion was that the differences were VERY small. In fact, he said that he would have a hard time telling the difference between the Maxed Out Home Reference with stepped attenuators and the Max with the stepped attenuators. Of course, this is his opinion and each one's mileage may vary depending on the critical nature your ears, cabling, and source (and headphones, of course).

Although I feel PRETTY good about the choice I've made (and the Max with stepped attenuators would be quite a bit more expensive than what I got--almost $500), I still DO wonder as to whether the difference in power supplies between the two units makes any appreciable difference. Incidentally, I did ask Todd if they could give me the Max's power supply without paying for the fancy faceplate, and he said this was something they couldn't do. Bummer!

Bottom line---I still think it's safe to say there is a difference in sound between the Maxed Out Home and the Maxed Out Home Reference, but as to exactly HOW much a difference, I can't tell you for sure. Hopefully, I'll be able to get together will Kelly soon and we'll be able to tell you for SURE!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2002 at 3:23 AM Post #5 of 5
You received it TODAY? Wow. As I sit and wait for an amp from somewhere else I ordered a month ago...

I do tend to believe Tyll and Todd when they say the stepped attenuator makes more of a difference than either the reference upgrade or the power supply upgrade... and I do believe them when they say the reference upgrade makes more of a difference than the power supply upgrade --- it's just that I haven't gotten to hear for myself.

I wonder if anyone would ever do an aftermarket modded Max. I guess it'd be hard to part with the warranty on the Max to do it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back