modifying my sl mk 1200 technics
Jul 5, 2003 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mjg

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey, I have been thinking of taking my old technics table, and trying it out with my new stuff when it arrives. I noticed the RCA output on it slightly less then audiophile (it looks like crap). I saw where it goes in and there is a screw. Has anyone replaced these wires with something better? Is this something I should do, could do, or just plain shouldn't? Can anyone recommend any modifications, needles (I currently have no needle). I would basiclly like to know what it would cost and take to trick out this table and have it sound great with my gilmore amp when it arrives.

Thanks,
mg.

Jul 5, 2003 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 4
mjg: When paired with a nice cartridge, Technics dj turntables can sound fairly good. I'd recommend to look for the Audio-Technica AT120E or something similar in that price range - more would probably be overkill. As far as cable and jack modding are concerned, I have no experience with this kind of turntables, yet - but opening it up and checking for possibilities shouldn't harm, "if you don't have two left hands", as we say in Germany...
wink.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jul 6, 2003 at 7:40 AM Post #3 of 4
I've been thinking about picking up a 1200 myself as well. I've heard that the best mod for the Technics 1200 is the KABusa tonearm damping mod. Supposidly, it brings the table up to audiophile level. There is also a power supply mod, but I doubt it would make a huge difference.

http://www.kabusa.com/index_pp.htm

I've never tried these myself, but the folks at harmonic discord highly recommend them.

Also, the Sumiko Blue Point and Blue Point special cartridges are supposed to sound very good with the 1200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back