MM-1, Focal XS Book, AE2+ or else for a small apartment ?
Dec 12, 2014 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Anshur

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I've recently plunged into the world of good audio with the purchase of a sennheiser momentum (after parting from a sennheiser MM-550), and woken up to the world of not that crappy sound, I've embarked into a crusade of reformation all of my audio outputs.

I'm looking to buy a set of 2.0 computer speaker under 400€ (500$). I'm mostly gonna use if at my desk (which is in a small student room ~9m²)) but I would like to listen in bed too (2 meter directly in front of the desk). It is essentially destined to listen to pop/rock/folk with the occasional classical track, and to watch movies & tv shows.

Knowing this, I'm scoured the net and found 3 interesting options : the Focal XS book (wireless ?), the MM-1 (that I found with 100€ discount), and the AE2+.

Between those 3 which would you recommend? Is there other good (better ?) options out there? Is buying the AE5+ or Airmotiv4s or MR5mk3 quoted below worth it knowing it would mean buying a new desk? (keep in mind my room is small, I don't need a lot of power).

Thanks again guys, any and all advice is welcome :)

Room Diagram

First, I need a new speaker for my bed based movie-watching/music-listening, and I'm hesitating between buying a set of computer speakers, or buying a portable Bluetooth/wireless speaker.

Secondly, I want to upgrade my old Creative T12 computer speakers with something better. I've read around that the Focal XS Book Wireless were a very good value, as were the Audio Engine 2+. For somebody who likes a little bit of bass (but while staying on a 2.0 system), what would you recommend ? Is the 200$ premium of the A5+ or the 300$ premium of the MM-1 really worth it for my untrained ears?

Lastly, I want to replace my old philips Hi-fi with a airplay enable system. Having a airport express laying around, I've read that building my own system with self powered speaker might be a good idea. Is that true, or should I rather go for a compact hifi system such as the zepplin air or somthing like that ? Either way what gear would you recommend ?

My budget is around 300-400$ (~400€) for each (as I will spread my purchases along the coming year).

I know it's a lot of questions, but to the uninitiated, the audiophile world is full of (yet fascinating) mystery :)

TL;DR:

1. For movie watching - music listening in bed (laptop) : bluetooth speaker, sound bar or computer speaker and which ? (~ 300$)
  2. What 2.0 desktop speaker with good bass: Focal XS wireless, A2+, or else? Is the more premium option: A5+, MM-1, etc. worth it to neophytes ?
  3. Airport express + self-powered speakers, or compact hi-fi such as zepplin air?

Thanks in advance, any and all advice is welcome :)

Dec 13, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #2 of 11
I've research a little more into the MM-1 and Focal XS Book, and review say they miss a little bass, is that just because they are 2.0 or do they really feel bass-less ? I'm kind of used to the T12 which have particularly strong bass, so I'm wondering if the transition might not be a little jarring.

Anyway, there is so many option on the market, it's a bit confusing :)

Dec 13, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 11
Active studio monitors are great for desktop bass, you can get a pair of Mackie MR5mk3's on ebay for sub $300 (I had the MK2's). KRK's are common on craigslist and are mentioned for there bass too.

Dec 13, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #4 of 11
Hi, I they seem interesting, however my desk and my apartment are quite small at the moment (student housing isn't very spacious), so I'm looking more into small footprint speakers, as in Focal XS book, MM-1, A2+, Edifier Spinnaker, etc.

As I'm looking around, I seem to gravitate toward the Focal XS Book and the MM-1. Between the two is one clearly above the other? Is there similar alternatives out there?

And is jumping to bigger speakers like the MR5mk3 or the A5+ really worth it? Keep it mind that in my particular situation, it would mean rethinking the layout of my apart and buying a new desk to accommodate them.

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 11
Well there's usually only 2 ways to get better bass: bigger speakers or add a subwoofer, unfortunately you can have neither of those. On the plus side your small space may work to your advantage, if you can put both speakers 2-6 inches from the wall and close to a corner the reflections generated will add to the perceived bass. I once heard the focal xs and liked them but they were in a very different environment from what you probably have.

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #6 of 11
I've updated the thread, I'm now pondering which speaker to buy.

Since my desk is against the wall, and near a corner, it would be easy to position as you mentioned, so for a apartment of this size (see diagram), would you still recommend upgrading to full size bookshelf speakers ?

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #7 of 11
Yes, that room is roughly the same size as the one i originally had them in. As long asyou don't expect home theater bass it will be good. There are other studio monitors that are mentioned for there bass and some are cheaper as well. All in all that's the route i suggest though. What will you be driving them from?

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #8 of 11
Get the MM-1, as it already have enough bass for a mid size room.  The issue is that the cable in between the L/R is only 3 feet, so you need to order the extension from B&W for about $20.  The Focal XS is great and all, but the old style 30 pin iPod dock and the sub are just not necessary and taking up space.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #9 of 11
Hi, I'm really leaning for the MM-1, but i read some recurring criticism in the several review i found: they hiss a little, they have a small sweet spot and lack a bit of bass. Are those issues really noticeable or are they just mere annoyances ?

About the focal, i'm not really considering the big focal xs 2.1 set, but rather the (relatively) new (~2011) focal xs book which is a set of 2.0 speakers.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #10 of 11
I have been using my MM-1 for a long time, and the bass is truly enough (my Windows volume is generally at 30), plus mine never have any hissing / interference issue.

p.s. just checked the specs on the XS book, and it has no DAC/AMP inside which the MM-1 does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back