Mistakes
Feb 7, 2010 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

trevorlane

500+ Head-Fier
We all make mistakes at some point and there are varying degrees to which we regret those mistakes we made. This is my first Head-Fi blog post, and it would be fitting that it would pertain to something that happened (or didn't happen) with my time on Head-Fi.

I've owned a number of headphones, some were far beyond my means (of affordability) but I took the hobby to heart and have enjoyed every step of the way to the system that I own now. Stuff comes and goes, it seems pretty normal that we keep some headphones and others go, like a flavor of the month deal. I remember times like, "ugh, I shouldn't have sold the CD3000s" or "why did I ever get rid of my Benchmark DAC-1 in the first place." I owned both pieces of equipment at a time when I wanted to trade my headphone hobby for my digital photography hobby, and so both pieces went. However there was one moment that I still think about even to this day.

Four years ago, I had an opportunity to purchase a R10. Not the Audi, the Sony. Yeah, the one and only. But I couldn't come up with the funds when I really though I could, and I came so close to having a chance at owning it. Everything happens for a reason, that's what my friends told me when they heard about my disappointment, that is until they found out how much it cost, and then they told me to get a life and spend that money on a plane ticket to somewhere exotic. Well, the R10 would've brought me closer to an exotic paradise by its daily use, than any vacation to a far-off destination. How can I say that? Well I've heard it before, and in my limited audition sessions I knew this wasn't just a leap from my CD3000, but this could be the one.

I don't need to make an analogy about how different a R10 feels on your head or how it sounds to you ears, because the ones who have heard it already know. But I let it slip away and the R10 has become my Eleanor. All attempts to acquire another R10 have failed, and 5 years later I have still not given up. I have discovered new headphones since and I have my favorites, but sometimes, I lay awake at night and think about how close I was having the R10 in my hands.

Feb 14, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #2 of 2
A touching story for any heaphone lover, but remember it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. I'm sorry to hear this, but mostly sorry about your wallet.

Regards, Mayzei.
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S Keep writing.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back