Miss my JVC HA-FXT90s... what now?
Oct 26, 2014 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

chodaranger

New Head-Fier
I lost my beloved FXT90s on the train, and need a replacement set of in-ears. I know you can still find some "FXT90s" on eBay, in bulk packaging, from China, but I think it's best to just move on and find something that's currently being made and is available from reputable sources.

I'm not a basshead, and I care about mids. To give an idea of my tastes, I used to be all about the ATH M50s, but have switched to the Beyer DT-770 Pros, which I adore. Very detailed and flat.

From my research thus far, it seems like the Sony MH1C and VSonic VSD1s are solid candidates, but I'm open to options under $100 that will make me forget about the JVC's.

Oct 26, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 8
You know they're still available at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Victor-In-ear-Headphones-HA-FXT90-Japanese/dp/B004VHAJJU 
It's from a third party seller, but Amazon will be fulfilling the order, so you'll be receiving the headphones from their warehouse. Given Amazon's record for superb customer service, I'd say you'll be making a safe buy. If you would still like to purchase something else, I would suggest the Shure SE215, the VSonic VSD3S, and the Havi B3 Pro 1. The Shures have great clarity in its mids and a warm profile, but its bass is actually less in quantity in comparison to similar IEMs in this price range. Its rolled-off highs accentuates its punchy, but not overbearing, bass. As a bonus, the cables are detachable. The VSonics are similar to the Shures, but has more detailed lows and slightly more bass. It also has detachable cables. Finally, the Havis has a very neutral signature and good clarity across the spectrum. Its short-comings are its requirement of an amp to perform at its best when using it with a portable source and its tendency to drain your very battery quickly, all thanks to its high impedance. Hope I've helped. :)

Dec 16, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 8

I lost my beloved FXT90s on the train, and need a replacement set of in-ears. I know you can still find some "FXT90s" on eBay, in bulk packaging, from China, but I think it's best to just move on and find something that's currently being made and is available from reputable sources.

I'm not a basshead, and I care about mids. To give an idea of my tastes, I used to be all about the ATH M50s, but have switched to the Beyer DT-770 Pros, which I adore. Very detailed and flat.

From my research thus far, it seems like the Sony MH1C and VSonic VSD1s are solid candidates, but I'm open to options under $100 that will make me forget about the JVC's.

Just posted my 2-month old FXT90s for sale here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/746676/mint-jvc-ha-fxt90-just-60-hours-of-use

Feel free to check it out. 

FYI I have the VSonic VSD1 and you would not like them if you care about mids. They are pretty v-shaped. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back