Mirco Sack vs "Home" Desktop
Apr 12, 2008 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mikeg88

Head-Fier
I am currently looking at buying, but staying under $1500 (after adding shipping & cables & accessories, but not tax).

The two options I'm considering are the Ultra Micro DAC with Micro Amp -OR- the desktop amp with Home DAC. (& ~ $350 for headphones....meaning either D2000s or 650's)

I will connect via optical for either.

Since my source is a laptop playing 16/48 files, I'm currently leaning towards the micro setup because of the superior DAC, but that means missing out on the superior "home" amplifier module in the desktop amp.

Setting aside other issues (like connectivity and volume controls etc), has anyone heard one/both of these setups or similar? Even if you haven't, can you think of a reason to pick the desktop setup over the micro setup mentioned above?

Thanks in advance,

M

* and in the tile, by Sack I meant Stack...man I really can't spel

Apr 13, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 13
The micro and desktop both use the home module, (the desktop can be upgraded to ultra/max, the micro has to be bought as an ultra or home)- the main difference is the connectivity options- there are more in the desktop module.

Apr 14, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am currently looking at buying, but staying under $1500 (after adding shipping & cables & accessories, but not tax).

The two options I'm considering are the Ultra Micro DAC with Micro Amp -OR- the desktop amp with Home DAC. (& ~ $350 for headphones....meaning either D2000s or 650's)

I will connect via optical for either.

Since my source is a laptop playing 16/48 files, I'm currently leaning towards the micro setup because of the superior DAC, but that means missing out on the superior "home" amplifier module in the desktop amp.

Setting aside other issues (like connectivity and volume controls etc), has anyone heard one/both of these setups or similar? Even if you haven't, can you think of a reason to pick the desktop setup over the micro setup mentioned above?

Thanks in advance,

M

* and in the tile, by Sack I meant Stack...man I really can't spel

Howdy M,

Imho, the 'standard' [$399 ea.] HeadRoom Micro Amp & Micro DAC devices are the close sonic equivalents of the basic 'home' module/DAC-equipped HR Desktop Amp, give or take a coupla of points....
redface.gif
. The Micro Amp uses Burr-Brown 134OPA in gain & crossfeed stages while the Desktop Amp's home module uses identical Burr-Bown 2134OPAs -- but in a 2-to-a-package design.

If the broader output/input interconnect flexibility of the larger Desktop Amp is not needed, them little Micros should equally rock yer world!
smily_headphones1.gif

Of course, the Ultra Micro DAC uses Burr-Brown 627OPAs and a superb AD1896 196kHz/24 bit upsampler so that's certainly the audio high-road for digital file listeners.... FYI- due to the Desktop Amp's combo-topology power demands, installing the upsampling Max DAC into the Desktop necessitates the $399 DPS investment as well.

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales & Product Manager

Apr 14, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Howdy M,

Imho, the 'standard' [$399 ea.] HeadRoom Micro Amp & Micro DAC devices are the close sonic equivalents of the basic 'home' module/DAC-equipped HR Desktop Amp, give or take a coupla of points....
redface.gif
. The Micro Amp uses Burr-Brown 134OPA in gain & crossfeed stages while the Desktop Amp's home module uses identical Burr-Bown 2134OPAs -- but in a 2-to-a-package design.

If the broader output/input interconnect flexibility of the larger Desktop Amp is not needed, them little Micros should equally rock yer world!
smily_headphones1.gif

Of course, the Ultra Micro DAC uses Burr-Brown 627OPAs and a superb AD1896 196kHz/24 bit upsampler so that's certainly the audio high-road for digital file listeners.... FYI- due to the Desktop Amp's combo-topology power demands, installing the upsampling Max DAC into the Desktop necessitates the $399 DPS investment as well.

Cheers,
Jorge

Jorge,

Thank you for your response, that really helped clear things up for me.
Now just to choose 'phones...

On that note, is there any word on how long until we can expect to see some Denon packages cropping up on the HR website? Basically, I'm waiting to see what sort of packages show up before I commit my cash...and I'm hoping the D2000 will become an option alongside the 650, 701, & 880 in the desktop portable and micro stack packages, etc. Do you think that could happen?

M

Apr 15, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 13
Denon / HeadRoom combo packages absolutely will happen, M -- we're working on those right now
wink.gif

However, we likely won't make all the various HR packages we're dreamin' up completely available until we can better predict in-stock status on the big dawg D-5000 model...which may be awhile
confused.gif

If looking for the equally-impressive (AND IN-STOCK!) Denon D-2000 [or D-1001, or any other 'phone] + HeadRoom amp deal, please feel free to shoot an email over to sales@headphone.com listing the stuff you're interested in ... We'd be happy to reply with what we can do!

Cheers,
Jorge

Apr 17, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 13
Do either set up, desktop or micro stack, have more available power to feed the headphones? In my situation, I have K701s, and have heard they are very power hungry. I'm assuming that the desktop can better power my headphones compared to the micro stack...is this true, or is this not the case?

Apr 17, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by xFih2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do either set up, desktop or micro stack, have more available power to feed the headphones?

Naw, they're the same.

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #9 of 13
Question for Jorge (and micro stack owners too):

if I were to buy one of the micro components (either the amp or DAC) first, for use with my BitHead, which would be advised?
Basically I would do either

Computer > bithead > micro amp > cans
-OR-
Computer > micro DAC > bithead > cans

The cans likely being SR225's...

?

Thanks in advance,

M

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

if I were to buy one of the micro components (either the amp or DAC) first, for use with my BitHead, which would be advised?

-OR-

?

Thanks in advance,

M

the difference between my bithead and my micro portable is huge.
but its the dac part you really notice. sure the amp sounds better.
but not as much of a difference as the dac. the bithead i have to use usb.
on the micro i can use the optical. there is a major difference in my
opinion. others may differ, and you may not hear what i do.. but.

Apr 18, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

-OR-

?

Thanks in advance,

M

I'd likely go for the upgraded DAC first, then get the better amplifier stage later especially since the Grado are fairly efficient 32-ohm cans which don't necessarily demand the added amp power for proper drive ...
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Jorge

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #12 of 13
so Jorge, for us Grado users, in yours and HeadRooms opinion what exactly do we actually gain when we make an amp upgrade like mg88's Bithead to Micro Amp? or say for me 06' MicroAmp w/ DM to Ultra Amp. in your opinion should we just make a DAC upgrade and leave it at that? or would the Ultra Amp actually make a difference over the 06' MicroAmp when using the Ultra DAC upgrade? what exactly will us Grado users notice or benefit by upgrading amps?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd likely go for the upgraded DAC first, then get the better amplifier stage later especially since the Grado are fairly efficient 32-ohm cans which don't necessarily demand the added amp power for proper drive ...
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Jorge

Apr 22, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so Jorge, for us Grado users, in yours and HeadRooms opinion what exactly do we actually gain when we make an amp upgrade like mg88's Bithead to Micro Amp? or say for me 06' MicroAmp w/ DM to Ultra Amp. in your opinion should we just make a DAC upgrade and leave it at that? or would the Ultra Amp actually make a difference over the 06' MicroAmp when using the Ultra DAC upgrade? what exactly will us Grado users notice or benefit by upgrading amps?

Hi NoseAllInIt.... Well, it's a bit tough to exactly predict what you'll hear in one amp vs another but, typically, higher-caliber headphone amps offer more precise & accurate tonal/timbral textures & musical detail and also more transparency and less coloration of the overall tonality -- in addition to improved recovery of low-level recording nuances like note decay, room reverb, effects processing et al...

However, i always advise that these differences/improvements are quite subtle and are highly dependent on audio source quality -- so those are some other factors you'll have to work into your decision!
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Jorge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back