MiniWatt Tube Amp (ALO dealer)
Jan 22, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #46 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by markm1111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have any further thoughts on this as a headphone amp specifically?

There may be second hand ones come on the market, and I think a review of its effectiveness as a headphone amp would give some indication on what the new version may sound like.

I am trying to decide between one of these and the Ming Da MC84-C07 for a valve headphone amp and high efficiency speakers amp.

Thanks

well, if it's between used and new, that's slightly unfair comp - but I do hope to hear a neighbor's miniwatt and headphone adapter sometime towards the end of this month. taking any reviews with grains of the salt of your choice, it should be close. more soon...

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #47 of 48
okay, saga continued: today we set up the miniwatt and a pair of omega speakers that are sensitive enough to make the most of the 2w or so out of the miniwatt. stock tubes for now, an oppo spinner got busy. very nice, almost not directional at all, sound dispersion pretty wide, good staging (dependent on the recording - this is a very transparent and revealing amp). but with all the accoutrements I was carrying (interconnects, cables, power cord, tubes, amp) I forgot to bring my headphones over to test the adapter. next week sometime, I think. the miniwatt sure punches above its weight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back