Minimalist/modern classical
Nov 23, 2001 at 11:07 PM Post #16 of 26
dustychalk,

"neroli" always leaves me slightly sad after i play it, but to me for some reason it really engages my attention. there's more going on in it than just the notes: listen carefully and you'll hear spiralling harmonics and DEEP subsonic notes. eno's music is deceptively simple sounding.

yeah, i saw glass on my birthday, oct 12. this is the 2nd time they've played the paramount here in seattle in 5 years. i saw them the first time: "powasqaatsi". they were even better the 2nd time, and "koyanisqaatsi" is just wonderful live, much better than the 1st studio cd.

Nov 24, 2001 at 1:43 PM Post #17 of 26
redshifter, that is so cool! I just found out there will be a concert from a cello octet performing Philip Glass close to where I live:

Cello Octet Conjunto Ibérico conducted by Elías Arizcuren performs an entire program of Glass's music arranged for eight cellos by Elías Arizcuren including Symphony for Eight (from Symphony No. 3, Movement III with a new prelude), Secret Agent, Metamorphosis No. 1, String Quartets No. 2 & 3, Façades, Attack and Fall and Funeral of Amenhotep III (from Akhnaten).

Pretty cool heh? I will probably go there, it'll be my first classical concert ever!

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2001 at 10:57 PM Post #18 of 26
"Attack and Fall and Funeral of Amenhotep III (from Akhnaten)."

very cool. those last two are some of glass's best works. i hope they have some serious percussion to back them up for the funeral music.

Nov 26, 2001 at 12:04 AM Post #19 of 26
Wab, as you like Aphex Twin, you may want to have a good listen to Vladislav Delay. Nothing at all like Phillip Glass (or Aphex Twin for that matter), he manages to create the music beautiful, engaging and minimal music out of glitches, hisses, crackles, pulses etc. He has 3 releases under the Vladislav Delay moniker:

Entain (Mille Plateaux)
Multila (Chain Reaction)
Anima (Mille Plateaux)

If you do end up liking this stuff, there is a heap more of it out there
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2001 at 12:28 AM Post #20 of 26
Hey, Stymie (reminds me of the Buckwheat thread),

Did you see this release, LOL?

Quote:

Various Artists - 45:18 [KP3005:f] Korm Plastics $14.75
"Perhaps the most controversial composition of the twentieth century is John Cage's '4:33'. Performed for the first time in 1952 by David Tudor, the piece consisted of opening the piano lid, and closing it after the given time, without having played a single note. Silence became music. Some years ago composer Roel Meelkop suggested to Meeuw Muzak a compilation CD of various interpretations of '4:33'. After years of compiling and harsh judgement, nine versions were selected. '4:33' is performed here by Keith Rowe, Voice Crack, Jio Shimuzo, Tsudo Tsunoda, Alignment (Mark Posyden & Radboud Mens), Artificial Memory Trace, Pauline Olivieros, Thurston Moore, Clive Graham. Also included are two extensive liner notes by Frans de Waard and Mark Poysden. As Meeuw Muzak releases no CD's, the whole project is now being released by Korm Plastics. As radical as the original composition, the nine interpretations range, of course, from sheer silence to sheer noise and digital data streams."

I got this, BTW, from here

Nov 26, 2001 at 12:38 AM Post #21 of 26
Good grief Dusty! I have never heard of that (no pun intended) - but it does sound intriguing!

Reminds me of Spinal Tap "None more Black" but in this case "None more minimal"
wink.gif

Nov 26, 2001 at 3:43 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Wab, as you like Aphex Twin, you may want to have a good listen to Vladislav Delay. Nothing at all like Phillip Glass (or Aphex Twin for that matter), he manages to create the music beautiful, engaging and minimal music out of glitches, hisses, crackles, pulses etc.

stymie miasma, I am already familiar with Vladislav Delay. I also enjoy lots of other stuff from the Mille Plateaux, Mego etc labels.
Quote:

Various Artists - 45:18 [KP3005:f] Korm Plastics $14.75

Dusty, that's a cool concept
biggrin.gif
. If you like that kind of stuff visit http://www.staalplaat.com, they have lots of it.

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2001 at 12:06 AM Post #24 of 26
Don't know much about that label - care to share some recommendations?
smily_headphones1.gif

also - any other recommendations in the vein of vladislav delay?

TIA
cool.gif

Dec 7, 2001 at 6:05 PM Post #25 of 26
stymie miasma, sorry for not replying earlier! I didn't see your reply. You can find Mego at http://www.mego.at . My favourite Mego artist is Fennesz, his new CD called "Endless Summer" is nothing less than a masterpiece. If you like Vladislav Delay's stuff you might want to check out artists like Fluxion, Jake Mandell and Kit Clayton. Also, there are two compilations with stuff like that called Clicks_+_Cuts 1 and 2 that are pretty good for exploring new artists.

I just got a Philip Glass double-CD calles "Songs". I think it's a Dutch only release, it's a collection of tracks from the Songs from Liquid Days and his opera's. Pretty cool..
And the Gorecki's 3rd symphony which is very nice, reminds me a bit of Godspeed You Black Emperor!.

Dec 8, 2001 at 4:46 PM Post #26 of 26
yeah, i agree with you. some aspects of Gorecki's third symphony are similar in some regards to Godspeed you black emperor. Maybe it's in the way the music slowly and steadily builds towards an emotional climax. i dunno. anyways, back to listening to music.

i hear that Gorecki's first and second symphonies are much more traditionally "modern" and by that i mean Schönberg and Berg and whatnot. i may be talking out of my ass here, but i sort remember hearing that from somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back