MiniDisc deals
Oct 2, 2001 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MacDEF

Headphone Hussy (will wear anything if it sounds good)
Just got a mailing from Minidisco.com, and there are some great deals:

Recorders:
MZ-R500PC $169.95
MZ-R700 $189.95
MZ-R900DPC $309.95
MZ-R909 $349.95
MD-MT770 $339.95

Players:
MZ-E300 $94.95
MZ-E900 $279.95

Blank MDs (via http://www.minidisco.com/minisecret.html):
Denon $1.79 each
Sony Color $1.49 each
Hi-Space $1.29 each

Oct 3, 2001 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 8
I don't think anything from Minidisco is a good deal, let alone a great one. Their prices are greatly marked up, and many people have reported bad service from them. However, if you're looking for blank media, they have some decent prices for the "high-end" blanks like Sony ES and Sony 80-minute discs.

Minidisco basically tries to be the Headroom of Minidisc by sponsoring Minidisc T-Station and the Minidisc Community Page and trying to act all friendly; but unlike Headroom, Minidisco doesn't have any truly useful information; their selection is rather limited as well.

Oct 3, 2001 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 8
I have ordered a couple of times from Minidisco, and DanG is right. Their prices may be considered "decent" at best, but I haven't had any bad experiences with them. I emailed them one time because they were selling a portable MD for $25 more than buy.com, and told them I would be more than happy to order from them if they would match the price. They told me they didn't price match because their customer service makes up for the price difference.
Ummm, OK.
rolleyes.gif
I think I'll take the $25 savings.

Just FYI, a pretty good place as far as prices go for MD products is www.electronicsemall.com

Oct 4, 2001 at 6:26 AM Post #5 of 8
I've bought several things from Minidisco and found their reliability and customer service top rank. Its true that they are rarely the lowest cost source of any of the things they sell, but they often have the lowest prices of any e-tailer in the US, especially on non-US models. You usually have to go to Asian sources for the lowest prices on the latest Japanese models (i.e. Hyperjack or Micmic). And while those sources are reliable as well, sometimes its useful to be able to call someone domestically for advice on an MD purchase, which you cant with the overseas etailers.

Oct 4, 2001 at 8:04 AM Post #6 of 8
I agree, bearwise. Their MD players are generally competitive for U.S. models, and usually the cheapest in the U.S. for foreign models. And they are still one of the (if not the) cheapest place to buy high-quality blanks (Hi-Space & Minidisco-branded).

On the topic of cheap MD stuff, CircuitCity.com is selling 25 blank MDs for $30! The brand is "STI" -- never heard of it, though.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ewebIMa/d...rk_0&oid=36532

Oct 4, 2001 at 10:08 AM Post #7 of 8
I've ordered my Servired leather pouches from them before, and I had no problems with them at all. Plus they're the only domestic sellers that can seem to get the absolute newest MD recorder/players into the U.S. for a decent price. As it is I think they're the only domestic seller that sells the R909.

Oct 4, 2001 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 8
There is an outfit called MinidiscMall that has the Japanese models fast, but their prices are always higher than Minidiscos.
BTW I have bought from Hyperjack as well, with no problems, and they just announced price drops on most of the popular Japanese model MD recorders and players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back