Mini-review: Yamaha DP-U50
Jul 10, 2004 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

SunByrne

500+ Head-Fier
OK, so I've had one of these for a while and I figured it was time for a little review. Probably not long enough or thorough enough to rate a sticky, but it might be useful to some:

http://byrneweb.com/sunburn/audio/yamahadpu50.html

Feedback welcome!
eggosmile.gif

Jul 10, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks.

I didn't post it here directly because it's a lot easier for me to generate HTML than the vBulletin markup--better tools.

As for software, Mac OS X just recognizes it as a generic USB audio device, and pretty much anything works with it, but there are no device-specific controls available. So, I mostly just use iTunes for playback. For recording, I've tried Sound Studio, CD Spin Doctor, and Audio Hijack. Each one is good for different things.

As for Waldo, I thought he retired to a private island in the South Pacific on all those book royalties...
tongue.gif

Jul 11, 2004 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 10
The DP-U50 was on my shortlist for use as an external DAC but after realising how big it is I've crossed it off the list. It seems like a pretty good device though.

Sep 20, 2004 at 5:57 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunByrne
OK, so I've had one of these for a while and I figured it was time for a little review. Probably not long enough or thorough enough to rate a sticky, but it might be useful to some:

http://byrneweb.com/sunburn/audio/yamahadpu50.html

Feedback welcome!
eggosmile.gif

Did you ever run RMAA digital loopthru tests on the DP-U50? I am interested in discovering whether it's capable of bit-perfect delivery of digital data to my headphone amp.

Sep 20, 2004 at 6:10 PM Post #7 of 10
Nice review. Wow, you got lots of equipment in very small space
wink.gif

Sep 21, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhenderson010759
Did you ever run RMAA digital loopthru tests on the DP-U50? I am interested in discovering whether it's capable of bit-perfect delivery of digital data to my headphone amp.

As a follow-up to my own message, I ran the RMAA loopback on the DP-U50 configured in 2-channel stereo mode. The results indicated bit-perfect data transport via USB 1.x for 44.1 and 48 kHz sample rates. However, operation at 96 kHz was imperfect. I reason that this is the result of insufficient USB bandwidth: 24 bit stereo data (packed as 3-bytes), sampled at 96 kHz operating bidirectionally (loopback=record+play) equates to 9.216 Mb/sec. This exceeds the best-case usable USB 1.x bandwidth, as outlined below:

UsbBandwidthVsPayload.bmp

This also corresponds to the achievable bandwidth that I've been able to coerce from the USB drivers that I have developed for Innovative Integration's DSP boards.

So, it seems that the DP-U50 is suitable as a bidirectional lossless TOSLink digital transport at sample rates of 48 kHz and below, only. However, unidirectional (i.e. playback) operation at 96 kHz, 24-bit should be fine as should unidirectional or bidirectional 16-bit operation at all speeds up to 96 kHz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back