Mini desktop amp confusion
Jan 8, 2024 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Malthus101

New Head-Fier
Howdy

So, I have some decent wired headphones and want to use them with music from my computer. I plugged the 3.5 jack in and it's fine, just the cable is a little short.

I thought anyway about getting a small desktop amp - always been interested to try a Schiit amp.

The Magni+ sounds cool but it doesn't have a DAC - do I need a DAC to go from PC to headphones?

The newer Magni (Magni Unity it may be called? confusing naming by Schiit) has an optional USB-C DAC card inside. So should I get that?

Thanks.

Jan 8, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #2 of 2
For combo models there's several I've had for the business and all are really great performers.
SMSL DL200
Topiing DX5 and EX5
Schiit makes good stuff but if you go with the stack I'd get the Heretic because the volume wheel location is so much better away from the headphone plug, but you'll need the Modi DAC as well plus cables.

The combo units can also be used as a DAC if down the road you want more power, way to add Ampzilla for big power later and not lose your investment selling it. Just avoid the Topping DX3 pro+ if your going to use sensitive IEMs as the output impedance is high for them and it changes the sound for the worse. I found that out the hard way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back