Mini DAP with maximum file size
Jun 22, 2019 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dodap

100+ Head-Fier
I would like to know which small DAP would work with my current music folder: It has some 32000 Files (MP3, FLAC and a few DSD) and the size is 350GB. I use Sandisk Ultra 400GB microSDXC cards for my music players (Windows tablet, LG Smartphone and Fiio X1). Now I would like to add a DAP as small as possible as an always take with me device for either IEMs or Bluetooth earphones. My short list so far consists of the smallest and lightest of them all, the Shanling M0, the Hidizs AP80 and the Hiby H3.
What devices (from these three or else) support a music library as big as mine, as I do not want to split it into several cards, especially as the rebuilding of the music database very often takes quite some time if you insert a bigger card with many files?

Jun 24, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 8
I asked HiBy. Their answer:

"R6 and R6 pro are based on Android system, which can run the applications installed from Google Play Store. But R3 is only HiBy OS.
R3, R6 and R6 Pro all have a micro SD card slot and its maximum external storage supports 2TB. R6 and R6 pro are no media limit, but R3's maximum files are 20000."

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #3 of 8
The Sanling distributor of Germany wrote me:
"Bei dem Shanling M0 gibt es unseres Wissens nach keine maximale Anzahl von Titeln auf der Speicherkarte. Du kannst aber davon ausgehen, dass die Datenbank mit steigender Titelzahl langsamer wird."
As far as we know there is no title number limit for a Sd card. But one has to take into account that the database gets slower with an increasesd number of titles.

Jun 27, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #4 of 8
HIDIZS wrote me:
"AP80 HIBY OS 3.0 system,the media report shows the highest limits are 20000 songs."

I probably must buy two Shanling M0 to have easy access to my 30.000 files in a small and light format. Two of them still would be only half the weight of my current LG G5.

Jun 27, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #5 of 8
I would like to know which small DAP would work with my current music folder: It has some 32000 Files (MP3, FLAC and a few DSD) and the size is 350GB. I use Sandisk Ultra 400GB microSDXC cards for my music players (Windows tablet, LG Smartphone and Fiio X1). Now I would like to add a DAP as small as possible as an always take with me device for either IEMs or Bluetooth earphones. My short list so far consists of the smallest and lightest of them all, the Shanling M0, the Hidizs AP80 and the Hiby H3.
What devices (from these three or else) support a music library as big as mine, as I do not want to split it into several cards, especially as the rebuilding of the music database very often takes quite some time if you insert a bigger card with many files?

Hey there. Dont know what ya budget is but my wm1z has a 512 Samsung evo card I bought for 99 bucks it hold like 480gb. Plus the internal 236 GB it only says 230 but it wants like 5 free I think....anyway the wm1a I would think would work fine. I have 230gb of mp3 then sd is all flac and lossless. So it says 53000+ songs if that helps. My z takes 4 min 20 sec to build database on powerup and handles files w very little lag. I paired up with some ca Solaris. Sounds insane.

Jun 27, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 8
No, the Sony WM1Z is too heavy for me: Too expensive, my top player so far is/was a Pioneer XDP-100R, but even more important: It is far too heavy for a portable device for me: it is 455 g, wheras the Shanling is a mere 38 g! In general the maximal supported microSDXC card size is irrelevant. Even if the seller gives a conservative rating of only 64 or 128 GB normally you can use 400 GB cards easily. And it will anyway still take some time till we can buy 2 TB cards. But the real limit is the maximal database size or maximal file number.

Jun 27, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 8
Hello, I see that you have an LG G5, have you thought about buying the sound module of B & O Play? I think that in Android there is no limit to songs, then you would have no problem.
Or you can use a DAP for 25k or 20k, not the maximum number of tracks you can play. And the other rest with the LG g5 + module.

Jun 28, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #8 of 8
I do have the B&O DAC/Amp module already. I prefer the Hidizs because it is a bit smaller. Yes, in Android there is no file limit, as I know from all devices that I used so far. As it is so difficult to find a light DAP that supports a big database I am know thinking of debunking my current smartphone (that does not accept SD cards) and making the LG G5 to my phone + DAP. Obviously this would be the lightest solution, I then only have to change my smartphone provider as so far I have a data only SIM card and another SIM card for calling. Even if the "old" G5 is only half as fast as my more modern smartphone it is still fast enough to be sincere. And above all it was the last good smartphone that still had replacable batteries. With the saved money I could add a Tidal subscription to my Spotify account.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back