Millett Hybrid
Dec 6, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #76 of 76
Quote:
Quote:
Also, if this is your first project and you go this route, I'd start by building Tangent's CMoy on the protoboard. In particular, that is a cheap and easy build that will get you used to working with Radio Shack's terrible boards (the pads lift pretty easily).

Maybe, but I already have a cMoy, and this is my first "sponorsed build" I'm not building it my buddy got his Bachleors in electronics... he's my builder xD so I'm confident he can do it. I might just make the jump for a SpeedBall Cracked Kit 

I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure the speedball is an add on to another bottlehead amp. My point wasn't really about experience. My point was that if you're going the route I did, building using radio shack stripboard, you should build something on stripboard first. Basically, radio shack boards suck. The pads lift at the drop of a feather, the hole spacing is pretty inconsistent, and the boards are really thin and prone to burning. Regardless of what your degree is in, if you're using the stripboard, it's best to start with something you don't mind screwing up, because you're probably going to lift the traces once or twice.

Mine works great, but the traces weren't particularly conductive, so some have basically an additional jumper running along the length of the traces, so as to provide some redundancy. I've built a dozen things on that board, and still have occasional problems with it. Reflowing anything is not easy on those boards, either, so you need to have your board diagram pretty well nailed down before you start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back