Millett Hybrid - Listening Observations
Jul 4, 2005 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

pabbi1

Cavalli Audio Spiritual Advisor
Disclaimer: I am conflicted as to whether to post here or in DIY - but this is post build discussion, so I voted for the amp forum.

Since almost 300 of these boards were recently obtained via a group buy, it's time folk (other than Drew, Nate, and select others) start weighing in on how they sound. I didn't expect much before several hundred hours of burn in. Well, here is what I have at 100 hours.

Specs:
STEPS 1.2 @ 28v
Cerafine caps except for C7, BlackGate
ALPS RK27 pot
Kimber rhodium RCA
Vishay 1/2 w / Holco 1/4 w resistors (using what I had on hand)
All silver wire
NOS GE 12AE6 tubes (later NOS TungSol 12FK6)
PARS metal case

Selections

Dylan - Blood on The Tracks (SACD)
Hendrix - First Rays of The New Rising Sun (Digital Remaster)
Neil Young - Greatest Hits (Digital Remaster)
DEVO - Oh No It's DEVO
Frank Zappa - Sheik Yerbouti
The Knack - Get the Knack (Digital Remaster)
The Who - The Ultimate Collection
Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks
Alice in Chains - Greatest Hits (SACD)

Observations

In my limited amp experience, this is my first tube amp, and many would consider this a hybrid at best. Briefly, this amp is almost on par with the m³ in detail, gravitas / balls / umph, volume, and price (about $350 with the jewelry, and extra tubes). What it does better that the SS amps I have had is an expanded space, and separation of instruments, though at ths ever so slightest sacrifice of some detail. But, whatever detail is given up, is made up for nuances now revealed via the extra separation.

Further, what it also offers is the extra harmonics and overtones, especially in the midrange. Bass is tight and controlled, but not quite as tight nor detailed as an m³, but with the bass harmonics - the bass just sounds, IMHO - better.

Guitars and vocals that gain texture from second order harmonics do - and so far, all for the better, though with the blackgates I understand there are varying periods of initial blooms.

This amp has a definite signature, as all do, but so far the signature is bold, confident, legible, and fluid.

I am surprised and yet, delighted, and want to hear what others are thinking and hearing.

Just to check for the inevitable placebo effect, I will have both this amp and my m³ at the Ft Worth meet, as I really want to hear these two with other cans, and hear other listener's input as well.

It's the guitars, man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back