Midiman M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 Impressions (not a review!)
May 3, 2002 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Masz

100+ Head-Fier
Due to some money issues, I had to sell most of my hifi gear. Got myself the Midiman M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 soundcard to temporarily tie me over. Didn't realise how far PC soundcard technology has evolved. Although it didn't reach the level of my dedicated nOrh CD-1 player, it came close enough and in certain areas, actually more enjoyable. Prior to this I had been using the soundcard which was built-in to the motherboard. What a difference a highend soundcard could make! I had also bought the Creative Extigy. Sorry, no comparison. The Midiman was way way ahead in the sound department. Previously I couldn't hear much difference (if any!) between a 128k, 256k or 320k ripped MP3 with both the built-in soundcard and to a lesser extent the Extigy but with the Midiman, you suddenly realise there's a difference. A BIG difference! Wow, I didn't realise what I've been missing all these while. The one thing which strikes me was that the sound wasn't fatiguing. Even after an extended listening session. The level of detail, tonality and pace was more than acceptable.

I thought no way a PC soundcard can rival even the cheapest dedicated cd player. I gladly admit that I was wrong. So for those of you looking for a source and space is a consideration, something for you to look into.

May 3, 2002 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 3
Not to mention you can upgrade your sound card too, with a nice external DAC! (I have an ART DIO for my AP2496)

May 3, 2002 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 3
The internal DAC is actually not too bad and I could live with it but an external DAC is also in the pipeline. My main concern was actually harshness but the midiman proves otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back