Mid Range ($400-600) open headphones
Oct 31, 2014 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

firepoint

New Head-Fier
I've recently devoted some money and time upgrading my audio equipment. For years I've enjoyed music and movies through a set of B&W 602's, driven by a variety of AV Stereo receivers. With amplifier and receiver technology constantly changing to accommodate new sound sound and video technology, I've decided to purchase a dedicated stereo system to enjoy my music, both digital and vinyl, along with my own studio recordings on guitar & bass.

I've purchased a Bryston B60R integrated amp, and a Bryston BDA-2 DAC, and a set of Bryston Mini-A speakers. This cleaner high quality system has the potential to justify better quality headphones, unfortunately I live in an area where actually listening to different headphone products isn't available. My online purchase will be made with a bit of risk, and online written descriptions of sound can be somewhat limited.  I currently have several sets of Bose on ear noise cancelling headphones, and a set of Sennheiser Momentum On Ear headphones.

I'm particularly interested in an opened back setup that will provide warmth & clarity to classic rock, jazz and blues music genres, along with my own string instrument mixes. Looking at selections available to my knowledge in the $400-600 price range would include Sennheiser HD650 , Grado P500's, Hifiman HE400I, or  Beyerdynamic T70P.

Can anyone provide any comments on the differences in quality & performance between these models or suggest other suitable choices in this price range?

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 7
Good to 600 ohms

If that's true, it should easily be able to drive the 300 Ohm HD 650 with a sensitivity rating of 103 dB (1 Vrms).  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HD650

Nov 1, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #5 of 7
HD650 is a very relaxed can and pretty close to flat, but with a darker overall signature yet plenty of detail. That is something you could choose.

T70p is closed, actually, and that's the portable low impedance model. You would be looking at something like the T90 if anything, for a Tesla Beyer. I think those are on the bright side.

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 7
The T90 are some what bright they do not spike but they do have a clear high end (very transparent through out), and I would not call them laid back either they are lively I really like mine. The HE-400i maybe more of what you want warm balanced and not hard to power. Take a look at the review here.
PS The T90 are great but know what you are getting into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back